June Hatch-A-Long

My Welsummer eggs arrived today......disaster! Out of 14 eggs, 7 were cracked or smashed. The remaining 7 had smelly egg goop all over them. I have washed them in an egg cleaning solution and sprayed them with hydrogen peroxide. Do you think I should still incubate them? Or do I risk contaminating my whole incubator? They are absolutely gorgeous eggs! I think I may need to take a break from shipped eggs for a while as USPS is only getting worse with their handling. I would not be surprised if the remaining 7 eggs are scrambled and don't develop.

My Welsummer eggs arrived today......disaster! Out of 14 eggs, 7 were cracked or smashed. The remaining 7 had smelly egg goop all over them. I have washed them in an egg cleaning solution and sprayed them with hydrogen peroxide. Do you think I should still incubate them? Or do I risk contaminating my whole incubator? They are absolutely gorgeous eggs! I think I may need to take a break from shipped eggs for a while as USPS is only getting worse with their handling. I would not be surprised if the remaining 7 eggs are scrambled and don't develop.

I'm so sorry! I received a big box of scrambled eggs recently too. I always try to incubate them even when they look scrambled but I wouldn't put any in that are smelly. Just keep a close eye on them and do sniff tests to make sure they aren't going bad too. I hope you took pictures to submit a claim to USPS.

I'm so sorry! I received a big box of scrambled eggs recently too. I always try to incubate them even when they look scrambled but I wouldn't put any in that are smelly. Just keep a close eye on them and do sniff tests to make sure they aren't going bad too. I hope you took pictures to submit a claim to USPS.

Yes! Definitely took pictures and planning to file a claim. I think I might put them in my "special care" incubator (my Janoel) instead of in with all the others.

Where did they come from?

I would candle the eggs at night and look for cracks. If none, I don’t think they’re a risk. The risk is more to them if they’ve lost their Bloom. Otherwise, fingers crossed!

I had some welsummer eggs that were a disaster in shipping damage that I ordered from Deer Run Farm and a few still hatched. They were gorgeous eggs.

So I went to the store to buy a carton of eggs, just so I can use the carton for my other shipped eggs arriving later today (the Marans/orpingtons), and I figured I would get fertilized eggs as long as I was buying eggs anyway. Spontaneous idea, as I have read on some of these threads that some folks have had success hatching store bought eggs. I picked out the ones that had the best looking air cells (better looking than the ameraucanas I got yesterday!) I thought I would throw them in the extra incubator I have and just let them do their thing without any real intervention from me. Just letting them get up to room temperature first. What do you all think? Have any of you ever tried this? Thought it would be a kick if any of them hatched. Don't know what kind they are, probably some kind of production red (eggs are brown).:)

Kel- sorry about your smashed eggs!

Fort cluck- Your chicks with the head crests look like my Spitzenhaubens did yours come from a white egg?
spt.PNG

Last egg hatched! I'm so happy! I tried to move her and her welsummer babies but she left them and ran straight back to where she hatched them. They've been reunited and I'm hoping her mothering instincts pick up. Here are the two chicks and the adapted nestbox cage. It's screwed on, the support is a backup and it ain't going anywhere.

IMG_20200606_210617.jpg
IMG_20200606_210500.jpg IMG_20200606_210348.jpg

So I went to the store to buy a carton of eggs, just so I can use the carton for my other shipped eggs arriving later today (the Marans/orpingtons), and I figured I would get fertilized eggs as long as I was buying eggs anyway. Spontaneous idea, as I have read on some of these threads that some folks have had success hatching store bought eggs. I picked out the ones that had the best looking air cells (better looking than the ameraucanas I got yesterday!) I thought I would throw them in the extra incubator I have and just let them do their thing without any real intervention from me. Just letting them get up to room temperature first. What do you all think? Have any of you ever tried this? Thought it would be a kick if any of them hatched. Don't know what kind they are, probably some kind of production red (eggs are brown).:)
Awesome!!! No I have not done it, yes I have read about it. EXCITING!

Back
Top Bottom