June Hatch-A-Long

@CluckNDoodle no photos?!?!? Whaaaaat?

did you keep any mauve Orpingtons? You better have! ;)

I know right?! I think I took pictures when they pipped and then I ran off to do something else, lol. I've been so busy!

I was going to keep a Mauve and 2 Isabellas but I have been so overwhelmed with life all of a sudden that I decided to give all of them to my friend. She is my number one source for great hatching eggs though, so I know I can hatch some next year from her! She already has a chocolate flock started and she can put the Mauves in with them to get both Mauve and Chocolate hatches.

My daughter also has her heart set on a Mottled Lavender Orpington so I may squeeze in one last hatch for this year if things calm down.

@jmns I’m so sorry about the troubles. It’s been my experience that if cross beak is enough to notice while they’re in the incubator..... it’s probably way too extreme of a case to survive. Most of the people who have success with raising a cross beak chick don’t notice for several days that it even has a small cross beak. As the chick grows a hard to notice cross beak becomes pretty bad. One that started out bad gets downright awful to manage.

there are a few FB groups for caring for disabled chicks if you’re on Facebook and you want to try for the chick, I’ll send you the links.

@jmns I have to agree with what jolenesdad is saying here. Unfortunately because it's a skull malformation it's common to see them get worse as the chick grows. The cross beak I helped my friend with for a few months was barely noticeable when it first hatched. :(

I know right?! I think I took pictures when they pipped and then I ran off to do something else, lol. I've been so busy!

I was going to keep a Mauve and 2 Isabellas but I have been so overwhelmed with life all of a sudden that I decided to give all of them to my friend. She is my number one source for great hatching eggs though, so I know I can hatch some next year from her! She already has a chocolate flock started and she can put the Mauves in with them to get both Mauve and Chocolate hatches.

My daughter also has her heart set on a Mottled Lavender Orpington so I may squeeze in one last hatch for this year if things calm down.

@jmns I have to agree with what jolenesdad is saying here. Unfortunately because it's a skull malformation it's common to see them get worse as the chick grows. The cross beak I helped my friend with for a few months was barely noticeable when it first hatched. :(
Mottled lavender orpingtons. 🥰🥰🥰

I feel you. I’ve given away so many chicks this year that I planned on keeping. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@FortCluck how are the chicks in the shed doing??

@CluckNDoodle no photos?!?!? Whaaaaat?

I just checked, I took 2 pictures, only 2, lol. One of the nail polish egg when it externally pipped because I was excited and one of the chicks I assisted with the malformed beak in case I ever need the image for anything because I'm a dork, lol.

I WILL take more pictures of these Olive Eggers because I have 4 broody hens again that I'm going to divvy them out to in order to get them to stop sitting, lol.

Here's my one and only exciting picture from the last hatch, LOL!
6-24-20.JPG

Olive Eggers were hatching all through the night again, I swear this month doesn't want me to sleep, lol. 12 out of 18 were viable for lockdown and pipped. Not a very good hatch rate for local eggs but I completely neglected these eggs and ran the incubator really dry quite a lot, which I can't get away with because our AC is always cranking during the summer here and dries out the air in the room. I'm just waiting for the last two chicks to hatch now! One upsidedown baby that is starting to zip now for those of you new to hatching and are concerned when you see a pip in the pointed end, they do usually hatch just fine!

DSC_0008.JPG

I just checked, I took 2 pictures, only 2, lol. One of the nail polish egg when it externally pipped because I was excited and one of the chicks I assisted with the malformed beak in case I ever need the image for anything because I'm a dork, lol.

I WILL take more pictures of these Olive Eggers because I have 4 broody hens again that I'm going to divvy them out to in order to get them to stop sitting, lol.

Here's my one and only exciting picture from the last hatch, LOL!
View attachment 2218133
The sparkle egg!!!!

Mottled lavender orpingtons. 🥰🥰🥰

I feel you. I’ve given away so many chicks this year that I planned on keeping. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@FortCluck how are the chicks in the shed doing??
Another died so thats2 since yesterday. It’s only the youngest ones. I’ll be moving them all out soon to the kennel area. I believe everyone in there will be the survivors

Back
Top Bottom