JUNE - JULY HATCH-ALONG!!!!!!!

Pics
I counted 13 this morning, might have more now
View attachment 1849626
I even have a red one from the reverse cross, he or she is in the cage on the right. The ones outside of the cage are Dorking x (Dorking x Red Rangers) which is the better of the 2 crosses as far as selecting for the next generation. Inside the Cage is the reverse (Dorking x Red rangers) x Dorking. Those will have reds and maybe buffs as well as all the patterns in the previously mentioned cross. This is all theory though because I am going by that Chicken Pattern Calculator.

The late June Hatch:
View attachment 1849627
With the exception of 1 Ayam Cemani (to fill out an empty slot in the incubator) these are all Dorking x (Dorking x Red Rangers) I am noticing wide range of sizes. I may keep small females for egging. The ones breedind for the next generation will judged on pattern first (shooting for Columbian) and size 2nd. I still need to learn how to cull for meat birding, I watched a video where a guy showed where to measure the birds to know which one will have the best frame for holding meat. So there is more to it than just weighing them. I do not have a lot of culling experience so there is a steep learning curve for me here.

Early Junes Hatch:
View attachment 1849628
The door is opened on the integration brooder that is under the poop boards, This is by far the most ingenious idea I have ever run across on BYC. Putting a brooder under a poop bored for integrating chicks, its a space saver and you can have chicks become accustomed to the flock. Its been about 2 days now and they aren't coming out for very long, the older birds have gone in to check them out but I have yet to see any attacks. I took the brooder feeder out but kept the water in there, eventually the water comes out and they will be forced to leave the coop in search of water. One or 2 have left the coop but not to go far or stay out long.

I’m so glad you’re in these hatch a longs.

How do you band or mark your birds?

Those groups i mentioned to you have a lot of things in them about these breeders culling for meat birds. There’s a lot about neck size related to breast size I’ve been reading about, too.

I just found a page on the livestock conservancy website too that’s really full of great info. I don’t know how I hadn’t landed on it before, but a Delaware breeder shared it with me as a great resource. I’m sure you’ve seen it but here’s the link for anyone else!

https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/chicken-manual

I’m so glad you’re in these hatch a longs.

How do you band or mark your birds?

Those groups i mentioned to you have a lot of things in them about these breeders culling for meat birds. There’s a lot about neck size related to breast size I’ve been reading about, too.

I just found a page on the livestock conservancy website too that’s really full of great info. I don’t know how I hadn’t landed on it before, but a Delaware breeder shared it with me as a great resource. I’m sure you’ve seen it but here’s the link for anyone else!

https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/chicken-manual

I try my best not to mark them, but when I do I use colored zip ties and change them out once a week whether they need it or not. Changing them out once a week helps me to remember which ones have bands so I do not accidentally leave one on. I had that happen from a hatchery that banded a cockerel without notifying me and when I let them out of the brooder I saw he was limping, he never fully recovered and had a lame leg his whole life. I have zip ties for slap together fence construction since I am taking down and putting up new fences as my chicken needs change so I have a bunch of them anyways. In this hatch I will be banding one batch of the 1/4 Red Ranger 3/4 Dorking's but it will be the batch with reds. Since only one batch has reds I do not have to band them and this will reduce the number of birds I band.

IMG_1759.JPG
I counted 20 chicks, Some still pipping. you can even see some of the Ayam Cemanis in the cage over on the right.
IMG_1751.JPG

my 5 Ayam Cemani x Red Ranger eggs are not hatching, the Hens eggs have slowly gotten bigger and bigger as time goes on, I believe they may be too big for hatching... I have one that lays a smaller egg so what to do with the one that lays a giant egg? As much as giant eggs sound appealing she eats way too much to justify keeping her around as an egger. I might give her away to someone impressed by giant eggs. No rush on that, maybe a larger bird can still breed with her.

Hatch should be done tonight or early dark morning, I might try to see if I can hand hatch the big ones

Last edited:
I spoke too soon on the Cemani x Rangers , they started hatching! I have 22 hatched now. Still more pipping. the 2 early guys have been out for over 24 nows, morning I go in and hand hatch those who never made it out. I have 10 that are either still hatching or will not hatch. Took a bonus picture (2nd picture) of the corner that I actually can not see because there is a wall where I would need to stand to see in that corner.
IMG_1784.JPG
IMG_1789.JPG

I spoke too soon on the Cemani x Rangers , they started hatching! I have 22 hatched now. Still more pipping. the 2 early guys have been out for over 24 nows, morning I go in and hand hatch those who never made it out. I have 10 that are either still hatching or will not hatch. Took a bonus picture (2nd picture) of the corner that I actually can not see because there is a wall where I would need to stand to see in that corner.
View attachment 1850372 View attachment 1850373
That jumbo layer says she isn’t going ANYWHERE.

Ugh. I am a lousy hatching assister!!! Down to a handful of guinea eggs. Unfortunate things that haven’t been turned in 9 days and have been exposed to lots of bacteria. I thought that two were internally pipped yesterday. I had a bad feeling about them when nothing happened today. Recandled tonight. One had died, one was “fluttery”. Opened at the air cell, made small hole in the membrane and got blood so stopped. Moistened membrane with coconut oil and saw vessels. Put back in incubator. Fluttery motion that I thought was breathing got slower and slower so I thought it was dying. Got it back out and tried to find beak. Couldn’t find it, got more blood, put it back in incuabtor. Now getting an occasional small pulse of movement but very slow. Afraid it smothered or bled out and I’ve killed it. I don’t seem to understand chick anatomy well enough to find the beak. Blah.

Attachments

• 5CD533B3-4DC3-4B35-B497-15E1A19BBE44.jpeg
    5CD533B3-4DC3-4B35-B497-15E1A19BBE44.jpeg
    477.5 KB · Views: 5
That jumbo layer says she isn’t going ANYWHERE.
I am still concerned about her egg size growing. She is 18 months old and her eggs keep getting bigger and bigger. Eventually it's going to lead to a problem. One of the many problems with some of the meat hybrids I guess. She actually laid a shelless egg 2 days ago and no egg since. One of the issues with Red Rangers is that they can go on egg laying strike for a month then lay everyday for a couple of months. I had both of them go on egg laying strike in February and I had no meat to eat in late may and early june. Plenty of eggs to eat though so no complaints.

Back
Top Bottom