JUNE - JULY HATCH-ALONG!!!!!!!

While making breakfast one morning, I noticed that the eggs in the pan looked fertile. I thought—:yesss:, I can hatch these! LOL So, I took 4 of the green eggs from the fridge and put them into the incubator the next day. 20 days later...

View attachment 1853801

:eek: Finally a successful refrigerator hatch!!! Were they eggs from your own chickens? Please tell me you're naming them all after appliance brand names. :lau I need to hatch some fridge babies just to be able to do that! LOL! Little Frigidaire and Sub Zero. :gig

Well nevermind, that went way faster than I thought.
Do you think this set-up is good enough?
I’m using one of those dog water contraptions for their water. They probably can even get in it if it’s too hot. I mean this is a Texas summer after all.

I'm sure they'll take every opportunity to get in it and splash around. lol!

:eek: Finally a successful refrigerator hatch!!! Were they eggs from your own chickens? Please tell me you're naming them all after appliance brand names. :lau I need to hatch some fridge babies just to be able to do that! LOL! Little Frigidaire and Sub Zero. :gig

No, they weren't our eggs. We didn't have any of our own laying at the time. We knew of a house near the Post Office that sometimes put eggs out for sale in a cooler, and they usually have a mix of colors.

Out of the 4 eggs, 2 were fertilized/developed. 1 did awesome until lockdown and then quit. It seemed stronger and better developed than the one that actually went on to hatch. :confused: We named the chick that hatched... Roadside. I voted for Frigidaire!! But I lost the vote. :barnie LOL

You should do it! It was fun just seeing if it would hatch. I mean, after being in the fridge for 3 days the odds were totally against it, right?!

BTW I still don't know if it's male/female, or what the mixes are. It was a green egg, so an Easter Egger and??? My guesses are EE x BO or EE x BLW. I'm probably totally off!

Roadside is the sweetest chick. She/he is 3 weeks old, and obviously, much bigger than the Seramas in the brooder. But they love each other right now, and Roadside was only born a day ahead of the Seramas, but takes care of them and the new chicks I put in a week ago. She/he teaches them, snuggles with them, and worries after them. So, for now, they are all still in the brooder. Here are updated pics..

76A6DC8D-0C86-433E-93F9-ED26BA33CB38.jpeg

7273026E-E73C-4CE4-A40E-1D15B5A832D3.jpeg
9FE88F79-1959-4927-826F-E83974940BC4.jpeg
D42616DF-021E-44F7-8080-9F0AEB05DDD2.jpeg

Attachments

• 71A3BA2A-583E-4043-AA9D-7C32EABE1BFD.jpeg
    71A3BA2A-583E-4043-AA9D-7C32EABE1BFD.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 1
Well nevermind, that went way faster than I thought.
Do you think this set-up is good enough?
I’m using one of those dog water contraptions for their water. They probably can even get in it if it’s too hot. I mean this is a Texas summer after all.
Where in TX are you?

Mine are a couple weeks older than you and I’m dealing with allllll the mess. I finally made space outside and am moving them here today. I already have plans to convert another two feet around the water to gravel drainage. I saw this somewhere, and so far it’s working pretty well. My only thought is that water you have may not last long and that’s why I went to something like this. There’s a rock underneath the water to raise it from the height of the standard base it comes in. This leaves enough depth they can dip their head but they still can’t get in this and make a gigantic mess, just a fair amount of one. :lau

I dug out around this and out drainage rock and then pea gravel around the outside.

DDAD72F1-98DA-4541-B2F4-E57B05B612D2.jpeg

A3977712-1D57-41D6-B54D-B85646465927.jpeg

30436BD4-1546-4F99-BC31-5AFD68239B39.jpeg

BTW I still don't know if it's male/female, or what the mixes are. It was a green egg, so an Easter Egger and??? My guesses are EE x BO or EE x BLW. I'm probably totally off!

Roadside is the sweetest chick. She/he is 3 weeks old, and obviously, much bigger than the Seramas in the brooder. But they love each other right now, and Roadside was only born a day ahead of the Seramas, but takes care of them and the new chicks I put in a week ago. She/he teaches them, snuggles with them, and worries after them. So, for now, they are all still in the brooder. Here are updated pics..

View attachment 1854025
View attachment 1854028 View attachment 1854031 View attachment 1854032
They’re SO cute on that little perch!!!!

Where in TX are you?

Mine are a couple weeks older than you and I’m dealing with allllll the mess. I finally made space outside and am moving them here today. I already have plans to convert another two feet around the water to gravel drainage. I saw this somewhere, and so far it’s working pretty well. My only thought is that water you have may not last long and that’s why I went to something like this. There’s a rock underneath the water to raise it from the height of the standard base it comes in. This leaves enough depth they can dip their head but they still can’t get in this and make a gigantic mess, just a fair amount of one. :lau

I dug out around this and out drainage rock and then pea gravel around the outside.

View attachment 1854251

View attachment 1854254

View attachment 1854253

I’m in the DFW area. My coop is on a slope so it dries out pretty quick during the summer. In our wet winters, not so much. But the ducks don’t seem to mind. And you are right. I have to fill the water back up as it’s getting low now. I think it only holds a gallon, which probably would be enough if the opening wasn’t so big, but I’m sure they like getting in the water dish.
Filling in the morning and once at night might not be too bad. I might change my tune though in a couple days and get that water device you have.

That sure is a nice set-up you got there.

While making breakfast one morning, I noticed that the eggs in the pan looked fertile. I thought—:yesss:, I can hatch these! LOL So, I took 4 of the green eggs from the fridge and put them into the incubator the next day. 20 days later...

View attachment 1853801
Awwww! And what a sweet little yellow chick you got out of it too!!!:love

Back
Top Bottom