JUNE - JULY HATCH-ALONG!!!!!!!

@jolenesdad that fact that she wasn't aggressive toward to chicks is still a really good sign that she'll be a good broody. She may just need to sit longer before accepting some chicks. You've been waiting so long for a broody, I would hate for you to not be able to enjoy it! Maybe when get more chicks it will be better timing for her?

@jolenesdad that fact that she wasn't aggressive toward to chicks is still a really good sign that she'll be a good broody. She may just need to sit longer before accepting some chicks. You've been waiting so long for a broody, I would hate for you to not be able to enjoy it! Maybe when get more chicks it will be better timing for her?
Im sort of nervous to make her sit ALL the way through August, just for my enjoyment... So im still thinking about it... I put her back on the eggs just so she wasn't traumatized totally while I think of a plan. Those next chicks don't come until Sep 9 and 16. . .

I may get her a couple fertile eggs locally and go from there, betting if I post on FB that I can find some in an incubator for a week. I see people post for their broodies all the time. Last week someone took eggs that had already pipped from someone down the road. If I get eggs that have been in for 10 days or so that would be amazing!!! Thinking the gradual introduction of peeps, movement, and then babies will be better for her than an unknown swap.

Im sort of nervous to make her sit ALL the way through August, just for my enjoyment... So im still thinking about it... I put her back on the eggs just so she wasn't traumatized totally while I think of a plan. Those next chicks don't come until Sep 9 and 16. . .

I may get her a couple fertile eggs locally and go from there, betting if I post on FB that I can find some in an incubator for a week. I see people post for their broodies all the time. Last week someone took eggs that had already pipped from someone down the road. If I get eggs that have been in for 10 days or so that would be amazing!!! Thinking the gradual introduction of peeps, movement, and then babies will be better for her than an unknown swap.

Eggs are my preference as well. It was far more stressful introducing hatched chicks than eggs. The broodies always seem to readily accept eggs. It's too bad you're not closer! I've had those BBS Marans eggs in my incubator for 10 days now and I just tossed the clears. I'm sure you'll be able to find something! I can't be the only one incubating eggs all year long. Lol!

Anyone have ideas? My buff Orpington that had a hawk attack last year and always had a swollen eye is not opening her eyes. Yesterday and today. At first I thought maybe she was pecked by the broody, but it’s both eyes....

She is a little slow, but that’s expected with the eyes. Other than that looking good. Making cooing sounds to me when I hold her.

I took her out of the heat and have her in a crate inside in dim lighting. Have not seen her eat and I have nutri drench in her water. I made the food really smooth on top so I’ll know if she is eating. Anything else I should do right now?

Anyone have ideas? My buff Orpington that had a hawk attack last year and always had a swollen eye is not opening her eyes. Yesterday and today. At first I thought maybe she was pecked by the broody, but it’s both eyes....

She is a little slow, but that’s expected with the eyes. Other than that looking good. Making cooing sounds to me when I hold her.

I took her out of the heat and have her in a crate inside in dim lighting. Have not seen her eat and I have nutri drench in her water. I made the food really smooth on top so I’ll know if she is eating. Anything else I should do right now?

Aww, poor sweet girl. You're doing everything I would be doing. Maybe check her over for any other signs of trauma? Checking her crop to see if it feels like she's been eating at all, that sort of thing. Also if she poos, I know it's gross but I would definitely check her poo for anything weird, parasite, blood, odd coloring. I hope she's ok!

:barnie

She jumped off and is searching for her eggs. :rolleyes:Poor confused mama. I ran out and got the babies which were all huddled together watching her. Glad I did early morning instead of late night so they were only by themselves for a bit.

Hmmmmmm. I may see if I can find some eggs that have been incubating a week, or I’ll break her. It’s so hot and I have so many chicks coming soon, it may be best to try next time she goes broody. I don’t want to stress her out with tons of chicks close in age to whatever she would raise, and sometimes the timing just isn’t right. :confused::(
Good news bad news??? I’m glad that 30% hatched - really not bad!!!! :loveSorry about the ones that didn’t make it and that the broody didn’t take...:th

Back
Top Bottom