Just Curious: What is your favorite breed of chicken and why?

What is your favorite chicken breed?

• Silkie

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • RIR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ameraucana

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • Leghorn

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Sebright

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Polish

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Plymouth Rock

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Orpington

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • Brahma

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Sussex

• Jersey Giant

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Wyandotte

• Cochin

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Australorp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Comment)

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters
I'm going to go with Delawares. I've had the RIR's and Brahmas when I was young. But coming into raising this breed has been an absolute treat. Not only are the beautiful to look at, but they're so smart and full of personality. For backyard purposes, they're just such a docile and inquisitive breed.

I find myself looking for ways to keep them stimulated mentally because they really like a challenge and need something new to do. Honestly have never had a better time around birds before.

That's pretty typical as far as how my Fayoumis act. They will accept treats from my hand but it's with them watching me warily.

I started with 4 pullets and a cockerel but lost a hen this spring but hatched two full blooded chicks last month that are just now 8 weeks old and one half Fayoumi chick from the same hatching. Two cockerels and a pullet. I am making it a point to handle them as much as possible so they aren't as skittish....hopefully.

Congratulations on the hatchlings! And thanks for that information about Fayoumis. We've been trying to handle our two, but they just seem to hate it. They do come somewhat close though for treats.

Very hard choice and depends on what's most important to you. I lean towards personality. I like Sussex because they are so friendly and mild mannered. Winter layer. And if you get a Speckled, your chicken gets a new look after every molt! :D

We had a very sweet, beautiful Speckled Sussex. She was a great layer and had a good temperament. Unfortunately, she was killed by a stray husky :(

My favorite has to be blue Cochins they are cute fluffy and good moms although it is a tie between ameraucanas because they lay cool eggs and lots of them and blue Cochins aren’t good layers

Attachments

• F19CDB35-C2EB-4F0E-BC2E-4344B90D4DF6.jpeg
    F19CDB35-C2EB-4F0E-BC2E-4344B90D4DF6.jpeg
    718.8 KB · Views: 4
  • C420DA47-2331-4E5B-9D3E-30F59997F47C.jpeg
    C420DA47-2331-4E5B-9D3E-30F59997F47C.jpeg
    769.7 KB · Views: 4
Definitely American games. They are not one of those fat chickens that looks like it just ate a whole bag of food, they are predator smart, fly well, usually human friendly, beautiful and live long. Egg amount does not matter to me.

Back
Top Bottom