Just Curious: What is your favorite breed of chicken and why?

What is your favorite chicken breed?

• Silkie

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • RIR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ameraucana

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • Leghorn

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Sebright

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Polish

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Plymouth Rock

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Orpington

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • Brahma

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Sussex

• Jersey Giant

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Wyandotte

• Cochin

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Australorp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Comment)

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters
It is hard to pick just one, as each has their merit.

As a pet alone silkie and salmon faverolle.

As both pet, and egg and free roaming....have to say the
Buckeye hands down.

For meat and egg....buckeye

So have to give it to the Buckeyes!

I Like Brahmas for their nonplussed attitude. Orpingtons for their friendly demeanor. I like my Buff Brahma/Orpington cross because they are big, calm, good foragers proficient (enough) layers, good at caring for chicks and seem to like being around me. And i apparently have a thing for blondes.

So far my most favorite chickens are my self-blue Ameraucanas, but my Orpingtons are a very close second. Both of my Ameraucanas are friendly, easy going, docile, so cute, make great little roosters, are gentle with the hens, and get along with all the chickens in my mixed flock. They love to be held, they love sitting with me, they are just the sweetest birds. My Orps are a bit less lovey, but they’re very friendly and usually sit with me and allow petting. They also get along with everyone and are just the most beautiful floofy feathered ladies.

I like Old English Game Bantam. Sweet, friendly, can take care of themselves attitude.
But since there's no OEGB on the poll. I choose Coronation Sussex's. Gorgeous, friendly, happy to eat any flies.

I am in love with Isa Browns and New Hampshire Reds! I have a NHR and she is the friendliest and most sassy chicken I have ever had! And my Isa Brown chicken was my best friend! She would always cuddle with me and following me! But she was recently killed by the neighbors dog along with a lot of our other chickens :(

Cream legbars are our favorites, although they aren't an old or APA accepted breed yet. Colored eggs, fun personalities, hilarious crests, sexable at hatch, smaller build (we don't raise for meat) etc make them great.

Next would probably be Barnevelders and Leghorns, although Australorps, Orpingtons and Silkies are up there too just for their great temperaments.

The first of those in the poll is Leghorn so voted for them.
Ooh I’d like to have cream legbars as well! I didn’t know they’re not considered a breed :eek:
I don’t have a favorite breed because my favorite chicken is mixed and I’m not sure about the mix either haha

My top two breeds are Jersey Giants and Brahmas. I love them both for similar reasons. I like the huge, gentle fluffy butts. I honestly can not pick between the two.

Back
Top Bottom