Just curious who else is living super frugal

Quote:
I have a low sodium bullion base that I love, so this would work great! I also could probably sub the gluten free flour replacement mix (it's a 1:1 sub for wheat flour) for the wheat free aspect.

Thanks
smile.png
We need to find out if this is possible to can, yes we do!

OH! Does this sub for one can of soup, or two?

Last edited:
Yep! We just had to give up our second vehicle in exchange for an electric bike! It actually feels great to be contributing less pollution and living more economically. We have always had to buy second hand generally, but I like the savings so much that it is okay. We try to shop Farmers Markets for the low prices on produce and to support local business. It can be super hard to make adjustments to your way of life, but downsizing and having to really think about what you use/buy/waste can prove to be really great! Good luck and take comfort in knowing most of us are in a similar looking boat! : )

I am part of a yahoo group for canning, and I pulled off a few recipes for cream of mushroom soup

Cream of Mushroom Soup

3 Tbsp butter
1 pound mushrooms, chopped or sliced
2/3 cup clear jel
2 quarts beef stock (beef bouillon may be substituted)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice

Melt butter. Add mushrooms and cook until brown. Add meat stock and the clear jel.
Mix all ingredients and heat until it boils.

Put in jars leaving a 1” headspace and process in pressure canner for 45 minutes
at 10 lb pressure. Adjust time according to altitude and style of canner.

When opening to use, add equal amount of milk and soup.

Makes 5 pints

Submitted by: Darlene

Doesn't seem like the typical cream of mushroom soup..probably not good for use in cooking. The clear jel will make it jelly-like but there is not cream to it. Maybe mixing 1/2 a pint with 1/2 pint milk will make it about the same flavor. But then the consistency will be off.

Also not sure if it's money saving either...

Quote:
I have a low sodium bullion base that I love, so this would work great! I also could probably sub the gluten free flour replacement mix (it's a 1:1 sub for wheat flour) for the wheat free aspect.

Thanks
smile.png
We need to find out if this is possible to can, yes we do!

OH! Does this sub for one can of soup, or two?

Use corn starch instead of the flour. You don't use as much corn starch. As thickening agent they are somewhat interchangeable. Hope this helps

IMHO, the cream soup is just a vehicle to carry the flavor into the main dish. Look at the ingredients on those cans and you will see all sorts of thickeners and preservatives. Making the cream sauce ( believe it's called a roue in French cooking terms) lets you add your own flavorings to your taste. By varying the proportions of thickener and milk/cream/juices you can suit it to your recipe.
When making homemade thickeners was more common, I recall reading that you could mix equal parts of butter and flour into a paste and freeze little balls of that to use as your thickener in all sorts of cooked dishes. The trick is to make sure you cook the raw flour taste out of the dish-- cook it, not just add it and finished.

You can make the Green Bean Casserole from scratch and gauge how much salt you want to use as well. Here is the recipe I use.

6 T butter
1 medium onions
1 lb mushrooms, quartered
2 t coarse salt
1/2 t pepper
1 24 oz bag frozen French green beans
1/3 c flour
2 c milk
1 8oz can Fried Onion pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In your largest skillet over medium heat, melt 2 T butter. Add onion and sauté until begins to soften, about four minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until softened. Season with 1 t salt and 1/4 t pepper and set aside to cool.

Cook green beans according to directions on bag. Pour beans into strainer and set aside.

Melt remaining butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Add flour, whisking constantly until mixture begins to turn golden, about two minutes. Pour in milk and continue whisking until mixture has thickened, about three minutes. Stir in remaining salt and pepper. Remove from heat and add mushrooms/onion mixture. Pour over beans and toss to combine.

Butter a medium size casserole pan and add casserole mixture.

Bake casserole, covered, until mixture is bubbly and heated through – about ten minutes. Uncover and cook until top is golden brown about 30 seconds. Sprinkle onion pieces over top and serve.

GreenGables~ I am soooo trying the green bean recipe.
Raiquee~ You are right - this one probably doesn't cost less...but think how good it would taste. I am going to try your recipe.

I know, I'm a bit early. But, I don't remember the last time I cooked turkey (another dislike) but sister requested it, so I'm practicing. It came out pretty good actually. I used a Jacques Pepin, Julia Child method, where you bone the thighs and stuff them. It all cooked very evenly and brown.

Here's the link

Now, hubby and I NEVER eat turkey (both dislike it) so I wasn't sure what to do with it last night. So, I carved one of the thighs, but before I had a chance to serve it, MGSU had eaten half or it! He said it was the BEST turkey he has ever had in his life and please do it again! He's NEVER asked for turkey before.

So, at 99 cents a pound, I'm off to the store to buy a couple more for the freezer. Do at least watch the youtube method, it makes one really luscious bird
droolin.gif

I'm loving my homemade powdered laundry detergent! My clothes feel softer. Just thought I'd post the recipe I used: http://www.diynatural.com/simple-easy-fast-effective-jabs-homemade-laundry-detergent/. There is a large recipe and then a smaller one. I made the smaller one just to be sure that I liked it. I know I mentioned it before, but one thing that I did do is pulse mixture together in my food processor to break up the soap shavings into smaller pieces.

Back
Top Bottom