Just curious? Who names all their chickens and who doesn't?

I name all of mine! Some I can name right away and some I name after awhile. It just depends on their personality. I like to name them so my dh and I know who it is we are talking about in the chicken yard. For example, it gets kinds confusing when talk about the Production Reds with a description instead of a name!
So far I have a Super Glue, Winston, Valerie, Emma, Violet, Lavinia, Hazel, Ruby, Opal, Buzzy (a pheasant), Tallulah, Dorothy (Dot), Barbi, Cornelius (or Cornelia) Daphne (possibly), Lilly, and Agatha. I still have some more to name though.

I can't tell the difference with my chickens since their all white but I've never named them in the past their jus called hens. And my duckies are just called duckies I gave names to my two gosling but I don't call them by it I just call them cutiepies. But the strange thing is my chickens don't have names but all my budgies (and I have allot) all have names.
smile.png

I started with 11 hens then one turned out to be a rooster. They all had names. Lucy and Ethel used to weed with me in the spring. They knew where to find the best goodies! But a couple of stray dogs came through our area and wiped me out. All that I have left of the original flock is Boris (the rooster). I had six Red Sex-Links given to me by a friend moving out of state and they look so much alike that they don't have names as yet (although a couple of them may be Dumb and Dumber)
hmm.png
. I have picked up another 10 of various brown egg-layers from another neighbor. My heart just hasn't been in it for awhile but I think eventually they will get names also. I still miss Lucy, Ethel, Mildred, Madge, Agatha, Isabel, Edna, Agnes, Mabel and Gertie.

I used to name my chicks, but now all my chickens, even though they are a mixed breed, are all solid black with black crests. Can't tell them apart anymore.

We name all of our animals including the goats when we had 60 of them at one time. We currently have 8 chickens;
Buffy, Esther, Dot, Jynx, America, Red, Chuck Norris and The Situation
wink.png

We sorta name ours and we sorta don't. If they are easily distinguishable frome everyone else we give them a name. Like my favorite who is our only adult buff orpington is nugget, we have our one rooster who's name is Colonel Sanders, our buff colored easter eagger is named six piece combo and our brown one is named Alice. But then we have 4 white silkies who we can't really tell apart so they're just "the silkies"and our Production reds we just call "the reds". So ya, we name some and we don't name others but I don't think they really know anyway
tongue.png

I name most of mine but the ones that look the same usually do not get creative names. If I have two Leghorns I call them "Leghorn 1" and "Leghorn 2."
roll.png
Only when I can tell them apart do I give them names.

Hi, I am really the newbe! My chickens (super little) are coming on Sat 5/28. I am getting 6 baby chicks and according to the breeder I will receive an Australop, Buff Brahma, Sussex, Americaunas, Orpington and an Andalusian. I do plan on naming them. I have been told by "experts" to wait until they show their personalities, then the names will better suit them. I looked up the personalities of each of the above breeds and all seemed just great except there are some concerns about the Andalusian. I would really appreciate an opinion about this. These are my first chickens. I have moved out of a planned community into an unincorporated area in Orange County, CA. I absolutely love my new place. 1/4 acre is awesome for me. I share this with a 2 year old border collie, and a 7 year old parakeet. Just me and the beginnings of a new and exciting life.
smile.png
I will post pictures soon, promise.

I've got 14 chickens at the moment, all of which are named. I don't name chicks until they've grown a bit and I've decided if they'll be kept or eaten... I don't name my food.

Two of my 7 ducks are named, my drake and my Pekin duck. All of my Muscovy ducks are unnamed because they all look the same, except one who is sitting on eggs. I marked her with an animal marking spray on her tail, so she's called Blue... cause she is.

Back
Top Bottom