Just curious!

First of, I will start by saying LG and KisKis, You where being quite rude to Linda V, When she was just trying to get advice.

Linda V, I didn't read all of this, But from what I hear is your girl has Mites or Lice.
Your water setup and plain is great!I bet they love the scrambled eggs, I know mine do!
Anyway, I have to find it again, but there is a BYC member on here, @pipdzipdnreadytogo , Who used a Dog and cat tick and flea stuff to get rid of mites are.If tha tag worked, Could you please remind me what you used, Pipd?

Good luck!
-CC1215

Wow! I appreciate your being so thoughtful and kind to me and I'm sure they meant well, but they could have softened it a tad...lol! Their advice, however, was good but I'm still NOT going to chase my birds down or surprise them after dark by picking them up. Besides, I'm doing this by myself as they trust me a lot!

I'm going to treat them internally with fresh, minced garlic & ACV - according to directions of course AND today they get treated externally with Permethrin 10% as well as their habitat. :) Also...using Poultry Protection on them, their habitat but NOT on their faces or heads! Must use caution when wet or rainy as they sip from puddles you know...lol!

Let me know WHEN you have time please...if you read my full posting. I do have before pics of their legs & will take during and after pics each week too! Will share on here for sure!

Don't mean to be rude, but I must go now to Tractor Supply for those 4 items!!!

Back with more updates asap....and again, thanks for your "scolding" ....that was a surprise! :)

Linda
6/21/17

ABIGAIL - with horrible legs....but help is in progress now with more on the way!
SAM_8309.JPG

Hey, You aren't being rude!I get it, Ya have to go, You have to go, Right? :D

Yes, I will read it ASAP!I have to go to a Libary today because I am taking part in a Fourth Of July parade, and I have to drop some things off :)

Aww, Poor little Abigail!
Good luck!

-CC1215

P.S.I LOVE Barred Rocks.

First of, I will start by saying LG and KisKis, You where being quite rude to Linda V, When she was just trying to get advice.

Linda V, I didn't read all of this, But from what I hear is your girl has Mites or Lice.
Your water setup and plain is great!I bet they love the scrambled eggs, I know mine do!
Anyway, I have to find it again, but there is a BYC member on here, @pipdzipdnreadytogo , Who used a Dog and cat tick and flea stuff to get rid of mites are.If tha tag worked, Could you please remind me what you used, Pipd?

Good luck!
-CC1215

Next time read through the entire thread before calling someone rude.
No one has been rude here except you, for name calling.

Linda you need to get some vaseline and coat their legs with it to smother the leg mites.
Garlic will not get rid of the mites.

Linda you need to get some vaseline and coat their legs with it to smother the leg mites.
Garlic will not get rid of the mites.

Thanks, I do understand that it doesn't rid/prevent them but I soaked Abby's legs with the POULTRY PROTECTOR twice since 12noon and dusted the heck out of their sand nests, upstairs & downstairs of their coop and TONIGT (after they go nite-nite), I'll spray Permethrin (10%) in their coop/run/cove etc. with the garden sprayer thingy so, for now I think Day One is not going too badly...and....Abby gave me her usual big, fat, dark, thick shelled egg just now!!! :)

KikisGirls: would you know by a pic of Henrietta's legs if she has them or not? I don't like the way the tops of her legs look....but the bottom part looks great. In either event, however, they will both be treated equally x daily x forever!

Here's pics of Henrietta's legs from today - before 1st treatment began. Abby's legs are dreadful looking but her legs are soaked with Poultry Protector (which rids them and keeps them off) and she's been exposed several times to the DUST on the floors of her coop, and nesting box!

No hurry to respond....I'm retired! :)

Linda 2pm

Henrietta's legs....
SAM_8319.JPG

Right leg, left leg pretty much the same....looks yucky to me. :(
SAM_8320.JPG

ps: I know your advice on the Vaseline is true and I read it was recommended but...I just can't make myself do it AND I refuse to let my skin come in contact with that nasty stuff. It's a petroleum product and when I shine a black light on it ....it glows in the dark!

How do I know this? I have a cute, little glass "dish" called Depression Glass or Vaseline glass and it's beautiful when you shine that black light on it. I would love to have a collection of that stuff but it's freaking expensive as heck - even at flea markets!

It's not water-soluble...which is why it works great for that purpose, however!

Sorry....but spraying the heck out of their legs each day is hard enough! :(

Back with more pics next week....I'm counting on a HUGE difference by then!

Linda

Hey, You aren't being rude!I get it, Ya have to go, You have to go, Right? :D

Yes, I will read it ASAP!I have to go to a Libary today because I am taking part in a Fourth Of July parade, and I have to drop some things off :)
Aww, Poor little Abigail!
Good luck!
-CC1215
P.S.I LOVE Barred Rocks.

To Cluckcluck1215:
WE love Plymouth Barred Rocks too! And...I'm amazed to see that I'm not the only one who things pet rats are neat! If I wanted one, I'd get a white one and would raise him from a baby. They are clean - just like the others - it's people's FILTH that attract them for food only!

Same with pigs! Pigs are immaculately clean animals, but have to stay cool so they use mud and/or dirt to keep cool and prevent sun burn, just like elephants, rhinos, etc. !

I love all animals...except crocs, gators, poisonous snakes (harmless ones are cool too), domestic cats and squirrels! Love BIG CATS however. So majestic and powerful!

Reminds me of my Henrietta....lol!
chicken_credt_crunch.jpg

If what you are doing now doesn't work you might try Garlic juice applied to legs to kill leg mites. Lisa Steele from Fresh Eggs Daily says a UK study found it is 100% kill for leg mites. I like using natural as much as possible but when it comes to worms and lice/mites I am in the valbazen for worms and permithtrin for bugs camp.

I am not sure leg mites would cause the inflammation on the chickens butt. You may have another problem, since you do not like to handle them could you find a vet to look at her.

Last edited:
Yes...you are right about the Garlic Juice, but the object is to get the most for my money but not short-change them. You have to buy GJ online and that includes S&H which makes buying it not very cost-effective for this retiired gal! :)

I took pics of their legs and compared them to the THOUSANDS on line showing what their legs look like with scales caused by mites and it matches them to a T!

Guess it's better than having to deal with an internal pest, but today Abby's leg's got squirted with the Poultry Protector so many times, she's getting used to it!

I'm watching them closely (was going to say "like a hawk" but...well, you know!) and they both appear to be at least feeling better - but it's only been one day!

Tonight - as soon as they go to roost inside their coop....I'm spraying the Permethrin 10% (less when diluted) in their run, bottom of coop, and cove! Doesn't take much of that....but if it rains...it's a 'no go"....so we'll see!

Thanks for your post, DJ! :)

Linda in NC

SAM_8164.JPG

SAM_8171.JPG

SAM_8173.JPG

Back
Top Bottom