Just got chased by a fox!

Get a nice light weight youth model 410 shotgun! Would be easy to carry and fast to manuver. You might not kill it, but it won't be back!

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I don't take offense to it, but I'm not a small or weak woman!
wink.png
I'm just as strong and tall as most average men.

thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Remington 870 Youth Model 20 gauge.....we keep one loaded and it has been used by every member of the family at one time or another for pest control.

Problem with a gun is that it is never at arms reach when you really needed it for things like this....thats why i carry a sidearm 24/7
lol.png

Wow, that's scary, but I would've done the same thing
wink.png
When we lived next to a big creek, and had lots of ducks and geese, I used to chase this one fox. I'd see the dumb thing and he'd get pelted with anything I could throw, along with me screaming at him. No matter what, that fox ALWAYS ran and never looked twice at me. He never got a single duck or goose either
wink.png
I know of a woman that was chased into her home by a fox, which was rabid. It should not have turned on you like that. Despite chasing the cat, once you came out, that fox should've stopped. I hope you can keep all your animals, and family safe between now and when the fox is put down. Having it tested is a VERY good idea. Knowing if there might be a rabies issue in your area is a good piece of information to have. Good luck with the fox problem...

Yes, they go blood simple after they've gotten a bite and this makes them easy to shoot (if it makes a kill and runs off - wait a bit - it will be back).

Lightest wt. Semi-automatic .22 you can find. Wouldn't `free range' without one handy:

Patrol030208.jpg

If lacking time/inclination to put several 100 rounds down range, practicing, then go with a shotgun.

Quote:
X2 That was my first thought, too. I might be new to chickens but that sounds like classic rabies symptoms.
sad.png

ETA: I would definitely go with a .22 over a shotgun, though! They are easier to handle, highly accurate, and you don't have to worry about the shot spread like you would with a shotgun. The same spread that helps when shooting targets or fowl can be a major disadvantage when aiming for a target on the ground (especially if you have neighbors or children or animals!).

Last edited:
Quote:
This is what I use. I'm not a weak woman, either, but I'm kinda short and this gun fits me. Since you've shot before, you know that you have to think about what's on the other side of your target and will be careful. It scares me when I read, "I've never shot a gun, but I'm going to get one..." The behavior of the fox is concerning to me. Rabies is for sure a possibility, but I wonder what kind of area you live in. Are you rural, where there's plenty of room for them to roam without coming in contact with people? Or are you in a more populated area where they could be acclimated to having humans around, which could make them more bold? Either way, it sounds like he has to go.

Back
Top Bottom