Just got my first order of chicks from McMurray, they arrived late and DEAD

that would be so awful. when i walked into the post office to pick up mine, i was expecting all dead because they came our of saint paul, mn (originally from mcmurray). i had checked the weather there & it was really cold. all 26 were alive & well. three days later they are still all alive & well. i know nothing, but in my opinion, i think it is luck of the draw - a combo of weather, timing, & whatever else. i really hope your next try is completely successful.

It's hard to ship right now. My first order from Ideal arrived all dead. They sent another the next week and only one out of about 25 died. One other died two weeks later, not sure why. Sorry you lost your order.

McMurray Hatchery isnt the great hatchery that it use to be. Many of the
experienced long time employees have retired. The younger generation is
letting the quality and service go down. I bought from them for 33 years.

My chicks are coming next week from them.....first time to have them coming in the mail. After reading your post my heart just sank. Glad to hear they are sending you a new batch. I talked to my mail lady and she said she would call soon as she got to the office and I could come pick them up. She gets there at 8 and said I could come then, they don't open till 10:30. Only two employees at my post office. Thought that was nice of her
yesss.gif

I ordered guineas from Murray McMurray Hatchery last year...had some die but they sent us our money back for those.
Placed an order for chickens, which are suppose to arrive next week. Am hoping they all arrive in good health but at
least I know the company will back their 'birds'.

I am very sorry your first order got lost and so many died...best wishes for the new batch! Good luck!

Look like hard work and labor to build a quality name can come tumbling down in a short time if the standards aren't kept up. I hate to see that happen.

Really sorry about you chicks. Like some other post said, I do my best to buy locally and go pick them up.

For several years, I've ordered McM chicks in Feb and every one of them had lived thru the shipping. I can not remember if I lost a chick except one summer order.

It all boils down to USPS and how they transport the chicks to hub to hub. Prolong exposure to cold air can stress them out alot. And some disgruntled USPS employee can shake the boxes up for their own poor sense of humor.

Its the risk that we order from the hatcheries. They have been doing this for YEARS, at least a hundred years and people like us still buy them, regardless of weather, postal issues and viability of the chicks to survive shipping and stress. For the chicks don't make it, it is not meant to be because they probably was weak to begin with if all the care has been given.

If you are paranoid about dead chicks, do yourself a favor, just order in the warmer months.

Stop shipping chicks! It is cruel. Surely there is somewhere closer you could pick them up. They should be 95 degrees not the 16 degrees it currently is in Kentucky!

Stop shipping chicks! It is cruel. Surely there is somewhere closer you could pick them up. They should be 95 degrees not the 16 degrees it currently is in Kentucky!

Tell what I can do.

I see you're in Ohio. I'm in Northern Indiana.

I've got chicks ordered from Meyer's in Ohio. They are charging me $33.56 for shipping.

You pick up my order, deliver them to me in a environmentally control vehicle with the temperature precisely at 95 degrees. Stop every hour to let the chicks get unstressed, exercise and to eat. I'll pay you $50 on delivery of 9 live unstressed BO chicks.

Chicks will be hatched May 21. First part of May please send me a PM and I'll give you my address.

Thank you.

Last edited:
How about you be a bit more considerate of peoples feelings??

Not everyone has the option of running down to the store and picking up every breed of chicken they want from 'chickens R us' or what not. Like many people I also looked locally and discovered that they locally available chickens were not the breeds or quality that I was looking for. While there are risks in shipping, there are equally as many risks when buying locally. My neighbor told me that she purchased a hen from a local feed store only to bring home a nasty disease that swept through her flock and resulted in her loosing most of her flock before she got it under control. No matter what you do there will be risks!

Back
Top Bottom