just got some parrolets

dianahuffman

Songster
8 Years
Nov 11, 2012
i just got 4 parrolets 2 green 1 yellow and 1 blue a blue and green are sitting on nest how long is the incubation period? how do i tell females from males?

DNA sexing is the only way to tell parrotlets apart, unless one lays an egg. You can do this very easily by sending in the feathers. I think it usually runs about $15-$20 to do this. Just do a search online to find companies that will do this for you.

Oh please, don't let the parents raise the babys untill they wean. Please pull the babys and handfeed them yourself, they make such great friends. :)

Last edited:
Quote: Don't even think about trying this unless you are extremely experienced in handfeeding tiny babies. Parrotlet babies are super small and need to be fed evry 2 hours and must be kept warm.

We hand fed 1500 plus baby cockatiels many from a day or two old, plus numerous african geys, cockatoos and amazons each year for over 5 years and even we would be hesitant to take on such a project.

Instead wait till they feather some and then handle them every day. You'll have sweet babies and have not taken the chance of killing them

Last edited:
Sorry, I did not mean pull babys that just popped out of the egg, I meant when they get their feathers in.
I too had to handfeed babys that came right out of the egg and yes!!!!!its two hours also very hard. Forgive me for not being clear.:bow

Been there - dun that - huh! What a *****!
he.gif
big_smile.png

i had to hand feed parakeets but i dont know if the eggs will hatch cause there barley in there sitting on them there are 2 eggs in there

Back
Top Bottom