Just had to euthanise my first chook :-(

L1sa

Songster
Jan 25, 2017
South Australia
Thats the first time I've had to do it myself. Feeling a bit numb. And sad, she was one of the first chooks I bought.

She was an internal layer and had swollen to a size where it had started to impact her breathing as of this morning. So I couldn't leave her to suffer. I'll miss little Babs.

Not enjoying this part of chicken keeping.

Thats the first time I've had to do it myself. Feeling a bit numb. And sad, she was one of the first chooks I bought.

She was an internal layer and had swollen to a size where it had started to impact her breathing as of this morning. So I couldn't leave her to suffer. I'll miss little Babs.

So sorry for your loss - I have not had to do that yet but I imagine it would upset me greatly! It sounds like you made a decision that was the right thing to do though . Well done!

Sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately chicken keeping isn't all flowers and sunshine and bad things can happen.

Take comfort in knowing you did the right thing for Babs and that you saved her from suffering be a horrible death. There was nothing more you could have done to save her. Unfortunately sometimes when we do the right thing it's us that ends up suffering.

Find comfort in the rest of your flock and knowing that without a doubt you did the right thing.

Thank you everyone. It's actually harder than I thought it would be. I held myself together for the first half an hour and kept telling myself it was definitely for the best, and she was suffering and all those things that we know are true, and then all of a sudden it got me and I burst into tears.

It seems silly, it's only a chicken. For heaven sake I eat chicken almost every day. But she was my chicken, and I loved her.

That’s too bad, so sorry for you.

I think if it affects you too much maybe next time just let her pass on own while you care for her separately providing comfort measures. But I think you did fine. Sorry for the loss. Hopefully you will not have others in the future with this problem! :(

Keep in mind if found early internal laying you can spay the chicken and spare it’s life if caught early. The chicken then is a pet but it prevents it from happening again. See below other options. http://www.scoopfromthecoop.com/laying-issues-internal-layers-and-peritonitis/

Thank you, I didn't even know that that was an option. I assume that would have to be done at the vets? Is it an operation?

I'll keep it in mind should I notice similar symptoms with any of my others.

Back
Top Bottom