Just hatched duckling rarely opens eyes, should I be concerned?

sapphire_duck

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2023
I have never hatched eggs before and today is the day all of my ducklings are hatching. A few of them have hatched already and I've noticed that one of my ducklings barely opens its eyes. All of its siblings are running around in the incubator, eyes wide. While this duckling is just as energetic as the others, it doesn't open its eyes very often. I just assumed it was sleepy but the other ducklings open their eyes to noises and such while the one I'm getting worried about isn't. I don't know if i should be concerned or not, again, its my first time so I don't know whats normal and what isn't.

I don't raise ducklings but do chicks so not sure if this will help any ...
When you say it "doesn't open it's eyes very often" are you saying it's running around with it's eyes closed or it less active than the rest, slowing down to "sleep". If it's eating/drinkin/pooping and activity level is "normal", I wouldn't worry to much but keep a close eye on it. Will ask some "duck" members....

@Kiki @WVduckchick @Miss Lydia
Thank you in advance :hugs

Congrats on the hatch. Trust me, it’s addictive! Lol

Make sure there isn’t any membrane or fluid from the egg covering it’s eyes. You can take a warm, damp cotton ball and wipe gently over the eyes and face. As it dries, it will also work it off huddling with the others. Chances are, that’s all it probably is.

Post a pic if you can, in case it’s something else.

Congrats on the hatch. Trust me, it’s addictive! Lol

Make sure there isn’t any membrane or fluid from the egg covering it’s eyes. You can take a warm, damp cotton ball and wipe gently over the eyes and face. As it dries, it will also work it off huddling with the others. Chances are, that’s all it probably is.

Post a pic if you can, in case it’s something else.
Hey thanks! You were correct, after a while of drying and rough housing it looks like the addictive did come off. The duckling is now very happy and healthy, thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom