Just joined the world of quail! Injured bird - update

Sahwithchicks

Songster
7 Years
Feb 25, 2012
Central FL
Yesterday my husband and I went to a farm to get a couple more turkeys, and my husband decided to get some quail! I have never been around them, so I was wondering what advice some of you pros could give for a newbie.

Here are a couple pictures of our new flock. These guys are just about laying age. Once they do start laying, I plan on building three separate cages to separate the colors for breeding.

db5be878.jpg

3f896553.jpg

May 5th:
This morning I went and checked on my little guys, and food a very injured quail. Last night she was fine. I do not see any evidence of anything getting into the cage, so I was wondering if this is a case of interspecie bullying. It looks pretty severe to only happened in a night, maybe it is a disease? I separated her immediately, and she will remain in isolation until fully healed... Could any one tell me what happened?? Are quails brutal like this to one another, or something else going on?
2ecd530c.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice looking quail! And it looks like they have a nice home there. Make sure they are on a good high protein diet. You mentioned you had Turkeys. You can feed them the turkey food. Quail need a diet of 24% to 28% protein.

Make sure they are in a fully enclosed, completely predator proof area as the night time critters have a not of time on their hands and will go after sleeping quail. Things will try to dig under. So keep wire buried well beneath the surface along the sides. I use railroad ties and bury them completely. That way nothing can ever dig along the sides.

You will get the hang of quail. They are fun to keep and raise. If you run into any snags, you can post up a question here. Enjoy your new quail ventures!

Haha. That's good advice cuz I was just telling my husband we needed three more cages, then a couple more boxes for brooders. Too bad my knowledge of building is nonexistent. I have drawn up some coop ideas, until I realized in reality I couldn't actually build it!!!
Are there any plans you suggest?

As for their current cage, not only is it fully wired in, but is also in our chicken cage, which is two 10'x10' dog kennels which has a roof and buried chicken wire.
The food the breeder fed them was chicken crumbles, and supplement with bread and stuff. However, I use purina flock raiser for the turkeys so I am feeding them that. I will look at what the feed stores to see if there is anythingbetter suited for them. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah to stay on the safe side I would keep the quail cage somewhere else than in your chicken pen - a shed or something or prop it up on stilts so it sits waist level with you. I like to attach mine to the side of a building if I can.

oh and do they use the ramp to get into what I assume is a little house at the top? I always wondered if coturnix were inclined to use a ramp like that but never tried it.

I tried cots with a ramp in a coop with an attached run... I dont think quail are bright enough to walk up a ramp!! I had a quad of a&ms and in about 4 months I dont think they went up the more than a few times! Just personal experience, maybe yours have more brain power.

and congrats on getting some quail!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom