Just made dinner, all from our property! I feel awesome!

Marty1876

Hi Everyone!
7 Years
Feb 5, 2012
Port Townsend, Washington
Well, we made mozzerella cheese a few days back from our goat milk. Its awesome. So tonight, I used goat milk and duck eggs in our egg bread dough for pizza crust, homemade pizza sauce from our garden produce and herbs, sausage made from ground turkey and goat for a topping, and our mozzerella to make our pizza for dinner.

They were delicious and I was so deeply and quietly proud, I just had to come share my joy at a 90% home produced meal. (I still buy wheat flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking sodas, so no 100% yet sadly)

I know a lot of work went into that! I am looking forward to the day that I can do that too. Looks like goat is quite profitable. I need to look in to them...we thought sheep because we like the milk better.

Congrats!

Very cool! I can't wait to get goats so we can make our own cheese too. You gave me a great idea as well ... I've been fretting because we have 15 babies turkeys that we thought we had sold but now it's looking like we're going to have to raise them instead and I wasn't sure what I could do with all that turkey meat because I don't have enough room to keep them all. I hadn't thought about the fact that we love turkey sausage and I almost always add ground turkey to my ground beef to make it go further for less.

I love backyard food, I don't have goats anymore but I have made supper with a chicken I processed, potatoes and green beans from the garden and homemade bread my wife made and butter I made from heavy whipping cream..
smile.png

Congrats! Of course I can provide my own meal with just a chicken and water to wash it down..

CONGRATULATIONS on your accomplishment! It is so very satisfying indeed!
, I just had to come share my joy at a 90% home produced meal. (I still buy wheat flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking sodas, so no 100% yet sadly)
It is very hard to produce 100% when you are dealing with a bread. Of course, there is always using a sour dough, but some things are just better with regular yeast dough.

..we thought sheep because we like the milk better.
I've been fretting because we have 15 babies turkeys that we thought we had sold but now it's looking like we're going to have to raise them instead and I wasn't sure what I could do with all that turkey meat because I don't have enough room to keep them all.
A pressure canner goes a l.o.n.g. way in storing shelf-stable meat.
I only wish I knew how to turn it into turkey bacon!
No worries. Slice thin, soak in brine solution, cover with Morton's tender quick then smoke. Yummy turkey bacon. (Or turkey jerky is quite good also!) We have a 2 yo tom named TJ. This is our first year with only a single tom, and I'm regretting it. His hormones are raging and without other toms to keep him in check, he has to be watched constantly less he jumps you. He is not a normally aggressive tom, just last month he was eating at my feet calmly. TJ just might become Turkey Jerky before this breeding season is up!

Just keep adding to your homestead yearly. I've never regretted putting in a garden dedicated to perennial herbs that I use the most. After over a decade, most of our meals use 90% of what we raise here ... and each meal, the satisfaction of knowing where it came from never diminishes.

If you can't/don't raise it yourself, check with other folks like you (farmer's market is a good place to find these folks) and see if you can barter goods.

Back
Top Bottom