Just rescued 5 Buff Orpington-Help Please!!

OOOOhhhhhhhh! How sad!!! I have not seen anything this sick before, bless you for taking them in!
love.gif

I would wash them with soap (I used palmolive when one of my chickies got pood on) under warm water, rinse them really well, and blow dry them.. they like it! Poor babies! You should report him, that is something NO animal should go through! Made me sick to my stomach..
rant.gif
I have 6 Buff Orpingtons.. such sweeties! Please keep us updated!!!

Good morning all! I just finished bathing the last one. They definitely look better! And SMELL better! I havent contacted anyone yet, but plan to do so today. Im so happy they lived through the night! They were so lively last night for a little while! I notices that some of the smaller ones were so wobbly on their feet, and then when they got near the others, they just sort of walked on top of each other. I guess this was what they were used to. My theory, as to how they got so impacted with poop and pee is that they must have been crammed in so tight that there was no place to let the poo fall without landing on another chick. The wobbling is probably due to having no room to ever strengthen their little legs. FOr chicks that are supposed to be 2 weeks old, they look like 5 day olds! One of them is bigger than the others, which he said it was older, by about a week. But jeez, Im wondering if their growth has been stunted, or if there is such a thing? Because my other chicks, at 2 weeks old, were 3 times bigger!
ANyhow, I will be stopping the antibiotics this evening (that will be 24 hrs on them-hope its enough time!) and will start them on their vitamins. Im scared to do both at the same time, unless someone more experienced knows about it and says its fine?? Yall think 24 hrs is enough time on the antibiotics?

Thanks for the support. Im feeling a bit better about their outcome this morning, but I tell ya, they still do not look like healthy chicks. The BO's I see in others pictures, well these babies look nothing like them.
sad.png

They are special little chickies, they will be absolutely beautiful! They have a good mama taking care of them, they will be so happy! Please post pics as they grow, I can't wait to see how it all turns out!
Thanks for the update!!!
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
I'll bet in a few days you'll be surprised at how much better they look. Just getting into a home with more room and proper care goes a long way and now that they actually have room to move around they should start gaining some strength. Animals can be amazingly resilient. I would get them on some vitamins as odds are not good they were getting proper nutrition either.

Please keep us updated and in a few days if you can post some pics so we can see their progress.

So happy someone like you has those babies now. The chick stuff at TSC is in packets in a row of 3 called sav a chick. It is electrolytes/vitamins for chicks. I used it for my little ones when I first got them home after a hour car ride. Hopefully whoever you are able to report this guy to is able to do something about the situation. Can you tell I just
love.gif
Buff Orpington chicks? Very happy those little ones now have a good home. Good Luck and keep us posted on them and maybe nice new clean pics.
smile.png

Poor Chickies

I had a similar situation last year. This guy had RIR laying hens advertised on CL for $5 each. We went and bought 20 of them, I wish I could have bought them all! He had about 200 birds crammed in this little bitty pen (maybe 30x30??) They had a tarp over half of it for "shelter" When I got the girls home they had mites, 4 of them had bumblefoot, and they literally ate for days. They are happy free ranging chickens now and my best layers! I turned the guy in to the Sheriffs Dept for animal abuse, he was fined, and all the animals were sold at auction...Sadly though I spotted him at the sale barn last week buying more chickens.

Hope your little ones do well!

Quote:
x2
big_smile.png

Excellent "mother hen" skills!
thumbsup.gif

I haven't read all of the replies you've had, but did you get medicated chick starter feed? That has antibiotics in it to prevent coccicidiosis.
Good luck with your babies!

Check out the before and afters!! Thank you everyone! Day 2 with their loving momma.
wink.png
Celtic, yes, they are recieving medicated chick starter. And now vitamins in their water. One of the chicks was still damp when I took the new pic, just so you know. And one of them Im going to have to bathe again cause I wasnt able to get the top of her little head clean last night. They look good, except around their eyes, still look sickly
sad.png

BEFORE:
85144_buff_os_1st_day_here.jpg

AFTER:
85144_day_2_bos.jpg

85144_bos_day_2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom