Just wanted to share my first chickens experience

flyguy676

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Today I picked up three red hens (I believe they're rhode island reds, i forgot to ask the farmer). He get rid of them (off to the slaughter house) when their egg production slows down. Anyways, I partially built their coop in my garage so I could transport it to the dog pin I'm converting into a run. After lifting it over the fence I began enclosing it. Unfortunately I could not finish it as I had to go to a photo shoot (I'm a photographer), so i left it have enclosed. When I got back home, I figured I'd check on them. I opened up the nesting box and no eggs, but I only saw 2 chickens. I went and opened up the other end of the coop and still only saw 2 chickens. I started looking around the outside of the coop and found her in a back corner of the run. I quickly grabbed her and put her back in the coop. I had blocked the opening to the coop. I had left about 3.5 4 inches of space in the opening. I have no clue how she got out! Her name is now Hendini!!!!

Your birds are called red stars, or red sex links. They are hatchery egg production birds. They lay alot of eggs for about two years and then that is it. Did the farmer tell you how old they were? They are definitely not Rhode Island Reds!

The birds you have are not production reds, they are red sex links. Just so you are aware. As someone else posted, they are an excellent egg producer. Enjoy getting your first egg from them :)
Today I picked up three red hens (I believe they're rhode island reds, i forgot to ask the farmer). He get rid of them (off to the slaughter house) when their egg production slows down. Anyways, I partially built their coop in my garage so I could transport it to the dog pin I'm converting into a run. After lifting it over the fence I began enclosing it. Unfortunately I could not finish it as I had to go to a photo shoot (I'm a photographer), so i left it have enclosed. When I got back home, I figured I'd check on them. I opened up the nesting box and no eggs, but I only saw 2 chickens. I went and opened up the other end of the coop and still only saw 2 chickens. I started looking around the outside of the coop and found her in a back corner of the run. I quickly grabbed her and put her back in the coop. I had blocked the opening to the coop. I had left about 3.5 4 inches of space in the opening. I have no clue how she got out! Her name is now Hendini!!!!

Your birds are called red stars, or red sex links. They are hatchery egg production birds. They lay alot of eggs for about two years and then that is it. Did the farmer tell you how old they were? They are definitely not Rhode Island Reds!

We keep our red sex links for at least three years, and they lay great into year three. All that really changes is egg size--right now, my three year old RSL are laying 5-6 super extra jumbo off-the-charts eggs per week.

Not being a heritage breed doesn't mean that they shut off like a spigot after two years.

Well I gathered 3 eggs today! But none of the chickens have roosted on their roost. Every time I look in they are just laying on the floor!

Well I gathered 3 eggs today! But none of the chickens have roosted on their roost. Every time I look in they are just laying on the floor!
Congrats on your egg gathering. It really depends on how the chickens were raised. If the previous owner that you got them from didn't have roosting bars, its going to take them more time to figure it out. Give them more time to figure things out :)

Back
Top Bottom