Justin Rhodes Chick shaw

My place is really hilly, too. JS calls for 9” wheels, which I used for the first one, but I couldn’t find them for the second so I bought 10”. For my terrain I like the 10” better. I have the meaties on a fairly smooth slope and the 9” ones work okay for them but even there, 10” would be easier.

The layers are following the cows and they’re currently on top of a hill. As long as their roosts are fairly horizontal it doesn’t matter if the tractor isn’t flat. I provide them with paddocks of e-netting which corrals them and protects them from ground-based predators. (We have coyotes, cougars and the rare bobcat. No raccoons. No stray dogs/cats.) So, if there are gaps under the edges of the tractor because of uneven ground, that’s not a big danger.

8F3E5F86-7AE0-4258-8F38-A0CCCDB2A780.jpeg

The one thing I don’t like about the tractors is that they’re fairly heavy, especially once you add nesting boxes. I’m sure I could figure out a way to move them with the 4-wheeler, but you couldn’t do that with chickens inside. They’d get hurt. They’re intended to be moved by hand, one tractor length at a time, while watching to make sure the chickens aren’t getting too close to the edges.

As long as you’re not trying to move them over lots of obstacles like branches, big rocks, etc., or across long distances or mushy ground, they’re not really a problem.

Your chickshaw build looks awesome! I think I’m still gonna end up building one. It’s a lot more mobile than the tractor and would be great to have if only for purposes of fowl transportation when I need to move them farther than a few tractor lengths. I do like that if I’m not up at first light (about 4:30 a.m. here this time of year) to let them out, they do still have some room to move around in. They’re not stuck in a tiny box on a roost. So, pluses and minuses for both.

My place is really hilly, too. JS calls for 9” wheels, which I used for the first one, but I couldn’t find them for the second so I bought 10”. For my terrain I like the 10” better. I have the meaties on a fairly smooth slope and the 9” ones work okay for them but even there, 10” would be easier.

The layers are following the cows and they’re currently on top of a hill. As long as their roosts are fairly horizontal it doesn’t matter if the tractor isn’t flat. I provide them with paddocks of e-netting which corrals them and protects them from ground-based predators. (We have coyotes, cougars and the rare bobcat. No raccoons. No stray dogs/cats.) So, if there are gaps under the edges of the tractor because of uneven ground, that’s not a big danger.

View attachment 1800741

The one thing I don’t like about the tractors is that they’re fairly heavy, especially once you add nesting boxes. I’m sure I could figure out a way to move them with the 4-wheeler, but you couldn’t do that with chickens inside. They’d get hurt. They’re intended to be moved by hand, one tractor length at a time, while watching to make sure the chickens aren’t getting too close to the edges.

As long as you’re not trying to move them over lots of obstacles like branches, big rocks, etc., or across long distances or mushy ground, they’re not really a problem.

Your chickshaw build looks awesome! I think I’m still gonna end up building one. It’s a lot more mobile than the tractor and would be great to have if only for purposes of fowl transportation when I need to move them farther than a few tractor lengths. I do like that if I’m not up at first light (about 4:30 a.m. here this time of year) to let them out, they do still have some room to move around in. They’re not stuck in a tiny box on a roost. So, pluses and minuses for both.

I'm kinda considering how to put an automatic door on it. I get up about 7 with the kids but dont make it out to feed till like 730. And I agree they need out before then. But those doors are expensive. We paid $200 for the one on the ducks pen. I know you can build your own some how. But it just seems like to much work when I watch youtube videos on it. I'd rather buy the tidy one that's intended for this use. I think I'll end up building one of these tractors for when I need to isolate a bird or small animal. It seems handy to have. I see alot of homesters using them.

Anyone watch YouTuber Justin Rhodes? If you don't you should!

I watch Justin Rhodes on YouTube all the time. I have not built his chickshaw because I have layers, not meat birds which I believe his system was designed for primarily. Also, I live on a lake and have lots of bald eagles and hawks overhead, so any open fenced in system would not work for me. I have a chicken run covered with bird netting to protect my flock from aerial predators. But his chicksaw design works for him and I hope you have great success with it too. Keep the thread updated as I would love to read about your experience with this system.

Justin puts his meat birds in tractors if I remember right, but it may be a Shaw... I don’t think so, though. He makes them a paddock of ShockorNot chick netting, and moves their shelter through it, then moves them on, I expect, when the shelter has gone the whole length.

Layers go in his chickshaw (there’s a built-in nesting box area). You might be thinking of John Suskovich’s tractors. I built some of those and modified two of them for layers. I have young turkeys in there with them and it works well. I move them along behind the cattle in electric netting.

Back
Top Bottom