Juvenile backyard chickens

MerazT

Chirping
May 18, 2019
I have a small flock from the same brood born on on Easter, some wyandotte mix, EE & saphire gems. Is it curiously behavior or agression if they peck your feet & legs when you enter the run?

At first it might be curiosity. Most of mine go through a stage where they peck out of curiosity. My preferred response is to stand there a moment and do nothing. They then stop. Then I proceed to manage pen. What I avoid doing is putting feed out immediately after or during the pecking session, especially if they are very hungry. If not careful, then you can train the birds to be aggressive gets eats quicker. That is particularly easy to demonstrate in a field when carrying a feed bucket.

Mostly curiosity, put an end to it(peck them back-finger tap on head) or it could get worse.

Ditto this! Flip flops really fascinated them (toe nails exposed) and while most gave it an exploratory peck those more persistent got a "boop" in return and they quit. Squirt bottles are handy, too, for behavioral training.

Back
Top Bottom