Kate's Sassy Seramas

This girl has gone broody!!

Question, when your girls go broody do you notice them being a little 'off' for a few days prior?No. I see no change in behavior before going broody THE FIRST TIME. With latter clutches the hen often clucks and walks around ruffled with wings dropped a few days before going broody again. I noticed she had been wandering around a little bit more not really as alert as usual. I noticed her comb wasn't as red Normal for a broody hen. as the others girls combs anymore yesterday and was a little worried.

When I got home from work I saw her like this but flatter with her wings kind of open. She's a very sweet girl. I went to see how she would respond if I put my hand under her. She didn't puff up or try to peck me. She just kinda looked around blankly. Unusual. Keep a close eye on her in case something is amiss.

I put a few eggs I've been setting aside for hatching and placed them around her. She ever so slowly and gently tucked them under her one by one!!

So we shall see if she stays broody. She's only 7 months old, so seems to be a little young to be brooding already, but she IS a Serama <3 <3 My line of serama have a strong broody instinct. Almost every one of them has gone broody before seven months of age; often before six months of age.

Anyway, going back to my question.. do you guys notice your girls acting strangely shorting before going broody? Also, how many Serama sized eggs do you let your girls set on? I have 5 under her right now. Five to eight depending on the hen's size.

Say hello to broody #2!

Caught her in broody #1's nest box. Thought she was trying to lay an egg. Every time broody #1 went near it #2 screamed up a storm and puffed way up. I made another box for #2 with some eggs for herself but she wasn't having any of it. She only wanted the other box. It took some convincing but she has nestled into her new nest with her own eggs! I've read about broodiness being contagious, and now I know it's true! At least with these girls.. only got one more pullet left.. well see if she joins the party.. if so, I got some LF eggs just for her!

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

I think my 3rd and final pullet is going to go broody as well. She's been wandering around just like the first one was and I noticed her picking up shavings and stray feathers and throwing them over her shoulder.

I've never seen this behavior before so I'm thinking it may be be a sign she's going to go broody.

We'll see!

I think my 3rd and final pullet is going to go broody as well. She's been wandering around just like the first one was and I noticed her picking up shavings and stray feathers and throwing them over her shoulder.

I've never seen this behavior before so I'm thinking it may be be a sign she's going to go broody.

We'll see!

Exciting! Good luck!

We'll see!
thumbsup.gif

Well she's still not broody yet but if she does I'm sure it wont be long. I went out and checked last night to see if the two girls were in their nest boxes. Broody #1 was in hers but broody #2 was up roosting with the cockerel and the 3rd pullet :[ so I quickly put eggs from her nest into broody #1's so now she's covering 9 eggs! She only weighs about 14oz but has a nice big spread and is able to cover them as far as i can tell. When I removed #2s eggs I placed one egg in her box from pullet #3. I figure she can practice on it. When I got up them morning I found #2 walking around around the cage but before I left she was back on her nest all puffed up and flat. If she can get with the program full on I will give her own eggs back just in time for hatching.

Well she's still not broody yet but if she does I'm sure it wont be long. I went out and checked last night to see if the two girls were in their nest boxes. Broody #1 was in hers but broody #2 was up roosting with the cockerel and the 3rd pullet :[ so I quickly put eggs from her nest into broody #1's so now she's covering 9 eggs! She only weighs about 14oz Nine serama eggs for a 14 ounce hen shouldn't be too much; not ideal, but should work. I candle eggs on the 4th day (white eggs only) and discard those that are clear making more room for the viable eggs. but has a nice big spread and is able to cover them as far as i can tell. When I removed #2s eggs I placed one egg in her box from pullet #3. I figure she can practice on it. When I got up them morning I found #2 walking around around the cage but before I left she was back on her nest all puffed up and flat. If she can get with the program full on I will give her own eggs back just in time for hatching.
My hens/pullets often act as your #2 for a day or so. It does not seem to harm the eggs any, but I count out the incubation time when the hen starts brooding full time; usually the eggs hatch. If they are clear on the 4th day candling I give them a fresh clutch. I rarely have to do this, and when I do, it is always a first time pullet that has ruined her eggs.

Back
Top Bottom