keep dirt run clean

ragingowl77

Chirping
Mar 21, 2022
Southeast Georgia
Our run is mostly dirt. Do you clean the poop in there or just let it "fertilize"? Also, what should I add to the run? We tried a xylophone and swing, but they don't care for either. We are going to add herbs (and of course we have a feeder and waterer), but is there anything else?

Some dry organic matter like pine shavings or leaves will help the composting process of the poop and it tends to let the poop settle to the bottom keeping the chickens cleaner. As an added bonus, you can harvest compost when it gets too deep for your liking.

I have a swing that 2 of my chickens love but the others pay it no attention. It helps to introduce them to that when they are very young. All of mine enjoy any other kind of clutter like chairs, shade structures, logs, and places to roost.

As others have said, logs and stumps and things for the chickens to perch on. Make use of the vertical space to give the chickens more room, ie, more places to be.

I built a small table out of wood from a pallet, and the chickens like to hop up on it and dust bathe under it.

I have a plastic chair for me to sit in. I turn it upside down when I leave so they can't sit in it and poop. They scratch around under it and dust bathe there too.

How long have you had chickens in your set up? Dirt runs can work, but if you haven't had the chickens there a full year I wager that you'll find it's not ideal to have no litter at all, as precipitation/seeping ground moisture from precipitation tends to turn dirt runs into stinky mud pits.

I use deep litter. What litter works best varies by climate and set up, availability of materials, as well as how much maintenance you're willing to put in.

As far as what to add for entertainment: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

How long have you had chickens in your set up? Dirt runs can work, but if you haven't had the chickens there a full year I wager that you'll find it's not ideal to have no litter at all, as precipitation/seeping ground moisture from precipitation tends to turn dirt runs into stinky mud pits.

I use deep litter. What litter works best varies by climate and set up, availability of materials, as well as how much maintenance you're willing to put in.

As far as what to add for entertainment: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
We've only had them in the run for a couple weeks. It is 6 ft tall and 80% covered with a tarp, so it doesn't get wet, but it does seem like a good ground covering would be good.

You can let them have the fun of destroying the vegetation first then start adding layers of dry organic material such as wood chips, wood shavings. dried grass clippings, fall leaves, straw, pine straw, etc.

Chickens are creatures of the forest floor. Early in my chicken-keeping I was told that fact and that the best runs imitate a forest floor. My birds seem to be happy with it. :)

Back
Top Bottom