Keep nesting box neater?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mendozer, Oct 26, 2011.

1. mendozer

mendozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    A minor, but irritating issue here.

I have a two-space nesting box that has a lip and I fill it with wood shavings. It seems they LOVE to scratch around and knock out the shavings, so the eggs are dropping right on the cardboard, which is fine I guess. But the shavings are falling through the slatted floor into the poop drawers.

So are the shavings really needed? (I bought a giant 10 cu ft bag long ago so I can't just switch to hay)

2. weimanator

weimanator Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    VA
    I would say yes, I had a similar problem and I kept getting dirty eggs and sometimes broken ones. I ended up adding a larger lip and hay and problem solved!

3. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    A friend of mine uses a piece of outdoor carpet, the green carpet stuff.... Just rinse when dirty, soft spot for eggs to land in.

4. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    I was thinking of making a whole new box with a bigger lip. If I add a bigger one to this one, the opening would shrink down so I don't want to do that. What's a good measure? 4 inch lip?

5. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    Quote:like astroturf?

6. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    you know what? I have a big sheet of astroturf covering my wood, something left behind by owners. I could cut a piece of that and lay it over the shavings. That way it's still cushy but nothing spills out

Might not work at all, but I'll try

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I add more shavings I want the girls to be comfortable while they are laying.

8. Mamaboid

Mamaboid Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Muncy Valley, PA
    I have shavings on the floor and hay in the nest boxes for just this reason. I got tired of broken eggs and no shavings left in the nests. Hay works much better and I also stopped getting eggs layed in the corner on the floor. [​IMG]

9. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    well my floor is slatted, so i don't want anything on it. Although the very first night they laid one on the floor and the egg fit right in the slat space.

10. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    i tried laying the astroturf over the shavings. They scratched out the turf and made a nest again. Dang. I tried putting it back in to see what's gunna happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by