Keep nesting box neater?

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
A minor, but irritating issue here.

I have a two-space nesting box that has a lip and I fill it with wood shavings. It seems they LOVE to scratch around and knock out the shavings, so the eggs are dropping right on the cardboard, which is fine I guess. But the shavings are falling through the slatted floor into the poop drawers.

So are the shavings really needed? (I bought a giant 10 cu ft bag long ago so I can't just switch to hay)

I would say yes, I had a similar problem and I kept getting dirty eggs and sometimes broken ones. I ended up adding a larger lip and hay and problem solved!

I was thinking of making a whole new box with a bigger lip. If I add a bigger one to this one, the opening would shrink down so I don't want to do that. What's a good measure? 4 inch lip?

you know what? I have a big sheet of astroturf covering my wood, something left behind by owners. I could cut a piece of that and lay it over the shavings. That way it's still cushy but nothing spills out

Might not work at all, but I'll try

I have shavings on the floor and hay in the nest boxes for just this reason. I got tired of broken eggs and no shavings left in the nests. Hay works much better and I also stopped getting eggs layed in the corner on the floor.
smile.png

well my floor is slatted, so i don't want anything on it. Although the very first night they laid one on the floor and the egg fit right in the slat space.

i tried laying the astroturf over the shavings. They scratched out the turf and made a nest again. Dang. I tried putting it back in to see what's gunna happen.

Back
Top Bottom