Keeping a Chicken Run From Getting Muddy?

Pics

Starburst

Jesus Loves You
May 25, 2020
Western Washington
Hi, everyone! This may be a silly question, but does anyone have any tips for keeping chicken runs from getting muddy? I live in Western Washington, where it's raining most of the time. My chicken run is big, about 30' square and I can't cover it. While I do have two huge evergreens growing in the middle, they don't stop most of the rain. The dirt is packed as hard as rock in half of it, and during storms, my chickens are sloshing around in the water, which can not be good for them. To sum it up, do any of you have any tips for making the dirt better draining and getting less muddy? Thanks!

Hi, everyone! This may be a silly question, but does anyone have any tips for keeping chicken runs from getting muddy? I live in Western Washington, where it's raining most of the time. My chicken run is big, about 30' square and I can't cover it. While I do have two huge evergreens growing in the middle, they don't stop most of the rain. The dirt is packed as hard as rock in half of it, and during storms, my chickens are sloshing around in the water, which can not be good for them. To sum it up, do any of you have any tips for making the dirt better draining and getting less muddy? Thanks!
Put four to twenty-four inches of sand on it. Sand drains much better than dirt. While it will be sandy mud while it is raining, it will dry fast. If you never want mud, use pea-rocks instead. With sand you can just comb it over with a yard rake to clean, but pea rock is harder to maintain. But, there's pros and cons to everything.

Put four to twenty-four inches of sand on it. Sand drains much better than dirt. While it will be sandy mud while it is raining, it will dry fast. If you never want mud, use pea-rocks instead. With sand you can just comb it over with a yard rake to clean, but pea rock is harder to maintain. But, there's pros and cons to everything.

Back
Top Bottom