1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping cool in the summer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Oddball Flock, May 23, 2017.

1. Oddball Flock

Oddball Flock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    California
    I'm in california and we have officially hit 100° weather. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to keep my babies refreshed and cool for the already dreaded summer. All ideas are appreciated. Thanks :)

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Set up some shade and use misters to cool the dirt/area in the shaded area.

3. Noreaster Egger

Noreaster Egger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2016
    I'm in NH, but my bigger birds struggled with a couple days of 90F+ heat last week. I'm considering digging down into the ground a bit and adding a small kiddie pool. I wouldn't go very deep with the water...just enough so they can wade in it. I'll probably put some small rocks and sand on the bottom too so they don't slip. We had an 80F day in early April while the snow was melting and they enjoyed walking through the deep puddles in the yard then.

4. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2017
    I'm at 104 and we'll go up as high as 120 some days.
    I re-use plastic jugs like from juice and deep freeze from big to small sizes, using faucet water
    We put up a mansion a big enclosure where they can get away from the direct rays and I put the ice in there they will sit next to it and I leave the top off so as it melts they will sip the cool water from the neck of the jug I refill at end of day and freeze again!

I also put in ice into their water I have shade and misters on the outside for when they're out there they'll dust bathe where the mister have cooled the dirt down so that helps too.

I have water puddles where they'll drink and stand in to cool their feet that helps

And lastly I have an Air Conditioner in the mansion that I turn on 80 during the hottest part of day so they have a reprieve since it gets so hot they wouldn't make it otherwise

You can see some of these things in the link in my signature if you want

5. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    freeze some yummie stuff with water in a muffin tin and give them some of that... a poster brought it up in the treat thread, and zoos do that all the time with their animals.

meetthebubus likes this.
  6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Frozen milk jugs with a fan blowing over them are good. As well as frozen peas for a treat.

7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
  8. Noreaster Egger

May 22, 2016
    What's the gallons per min usage on that?

9. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Its according to the size you get or set-up. Real low----a few nozzles would be 1 to 2 GPH(hour) a big set-up like 30 heads might use 5 to 10 gph. Its Just Mist! Some people set-up like 3 or 4 nozzles attached to oscillating fan and they work good---even for rabbits.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  10. Noreaster Egger

May 22, 2016
    I've checked out those Fogg-It misting nozzles before. Their "superfine" nozzle is 1/2 GPM (30 GPH) and their "super-superfine" nozzle is 1/4 GPM (15 GPH). I believe their higher rate misters are 1, 2, and 4 GPM. So setting up a system of fine misters would be a few GPM which really adds up over an afternoon...especially for me with a fussy well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by