keeping covered run dry.

If you use tarps, be sure they can handle the snow load.

My run is built with the metal frame of an unused green house. I put chicken wire over the top for some protection (hawks, eagles) and the tarp was over that. There is a 2.5' span between the poles that form the roof. I kept it broomed off every time it snowed, but I was still surprised at how much sag there was in the chicken wire when I took off the tarps this last spring.
We don't typically get a lot of snow, but there's always the year that goes rogue! I have two of the Universal poultry pens from TSC, so a reasonably sturdy surface, but brooming off is still sound advice!

I'm still working on the overhead bit. It's amazing how dripping water finds a way around the edges! Think I've got it figured out using an over-sized tarp and boards underneath to direct flow. Won't know for sure till the next storm!
If you use tarps, be sure they can handle the snow load.

My run is built with the metal frame of an unused green house. I put chicken wire over the top for some protection (hawks, eagles) and the tarp was over that. There is a 2.5' span between the poles that form the roof. I kept it broomed off every time it snowed, but I was still surprised at how much sag there was in the chicken wire when I took off the tarps this last spring.

Has anyone bought Sweet PDZ lately? The price has more than doubled! Gotta find a different product. Any suggestions?]
It's gone up a bit here at my local TSC, but more than doubled, nah.
Feed price for Flock Raiser has increased more, probably about 25%.

Where and what size are you buying at what price?

Back
Top Bottom