Keeping Fish

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LeafBlade12345, Oct 21, 2015.

1. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome! So they breed rapidly? I'm surprised that the other shrimp didn't eat the fry... :hmm

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They seem to, though I haven't seen any of the females carrying eggs since the last batch hatched. I think the shrimp only feed on algae and biofilm, but I'm not positive on that. And the fry have lots of places to hide out anyway.
    They're definitely worth a shot, I've been enjoying them!

3. LeafBlade12345

What plants do you keep in their tank? Thanks for all the info, sorry to interrogate you! [​IMG]

4. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    No worries :)
    I have some moss balls and Java moss in their tank. They hang out on both, but seem to prefer the Java moss.

5. LeafBlade12345

I used to have several Marimo moss balls but over time they have been thrown out. I am thinking of ordering a few of the shrimp, maybe the neon yellow ones!

6. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I like the yellow ones too, maybe next time I order...

7. LeafBlade12345

They do seem pretty interesting!

8. LeafBlade12345

Ugh, I feel like a horrible person...I did something EXTREMELY stupid about a week ago and just need to get it off my chest. Before leaving on a trip, I tossed a *miniscule* piece of peppermint bark chocolate into my hobby tank when feeding, wondering how the fish would react. I checked the water and couldn't find the piece, but it was so tiny that I doubted it would hurt. When I returned from my trip, I came to a breeder box full of dead fry! The piece of peppermint bark had fallen into there, and many of the fry had gorged on it and killed themselves. As I took the dead fry out, I didn't realize that the bark was still there until it sunk to the bottom of the main tank. In a second, a few fish gulped it up. Since they were adults and the piece was so tiny, I thought nothing of it and disposed of the dead fry. Then, the next day, I came to two dead fish who had been helathy until ingesting the chocolate. I was mortified and quickly disposed of the fish. Then I cleaned out the area and checked on the other fish. All were fine. So I lost most of my fry and two of my hobby fish just because of my STUPID, STUPID, mistake. I am extremely embarrassed and annoyed with myself. I can't believe I was so careless and have no idea what possessed me to throw the bark in the tank. I just wish I had thought before I had done so...sorry for the rant, just angry at myself for killing them. :(

9. Shellybean02

Shellybean02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2015
    Poor fish:-( Sorry for your loss. Don't blame yourself, humans are curious and make mistakes. At least you now know not to give them that, right?

10. LeafBlade12345

Thanks Shelly. I just feel so dumb, I mean, who feeds their fish CHOCOLATE? It was such a stupid, off hand thing to do, and my animals suffered because of it. Thank you for the support though, and I give thanks to the animals who lost their lives so that I could learn from my mistake. I will be VERY careful in the future. I had no idea what a problem I'd created. Thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by