keeping hydrated

zoruagalaxy

Chirping
Apr 6, 2022
Southern TX
during humid and hot temperatures aside from the shade, is it ok to put sprinkled ice on the floor where the chickens lay for keeping them cool? Also i heard people sometimes dip their feet in water to keep them from overheating, does that work aswell?

Foot baths work very well. You don't have to dip their feet. They will just stand in the water. Their blood vessels in the legs and feet while standing in water will serve to cool their body temperature.
I wouldn't sprinkle ice if there is bedding as that will just melt, make the bedding wet causing mold/fungus and give a good environment for coccidia to reproduce.
For the foot baths, I use big rubber feed tubs with a frozen water bottle floating in the water. I refill water bottles and freeze them.
Having the right breed of chicken for hot climates will negate the need to worry.

Foot baths work very well. You don't have to dip their feet. They will just stand in the water. Their blood vessels in the legs and feet while standing in water will serve to cool their body temperature.
I wouldn't sprinkle ice if there is bedding as that will just melt, make the bedding wet causing mold/fungus and give a good environment for coccidia to reproduce.
For the foot baths, I use big rubber feed tubs with a frozen water bottle floating in the water. I refill water bottles and freeze them.
Having the right breed of chicken for hot climates will negate the need to worry.
I don't put it in their bedding but i usually just put the ice on the grass where they lay in the yard so they dont sit on hot grass. Is that ok too?

That's OK. What breeds do you have?

You said, "sprinkle ice on the floor". I assumed you meant in the coop or run at best, not on the grass.

Last edited:
AOrps are a good breed. I would put them in the middle of the scale on heat tolerance. They are more cold hardy than heat hardy.
They will definitely appreciate a foot bath.

Here's my article on Hot Climate chicken keeping: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

And @aart's article on Extreme Weather: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

Since our heat arrived late and suddenly after a cold spring, I did something yesterday that I don't normally do. When I made up a batch of electrolytes (in a separate waterer with plain water also available), I used some of the solution to make wet mash, which I normally make with plain water).

Chickens love wet mash and it's a good way to ensure that they're well-hydrated.

Back
Top Bottom