Keeping it organic

alexm1822

Chirping
Apr 29, 2017
Hi everyone! New flock raiser here and want to go organic all the way but i want to keep my flock in good health too! Does D-earth and worming meds go against that? Also tractor supply has a backyard chicken health pack would that? Food choice? Any advice would be helpful!

Food grade diatomaceous earth won't hurt an organic certification but anthelmintics (worming meds) aren't organic.
I don't know what is in the 'health pack' so I can't help you there.
The feed needs to be certified organic. If Tractor Supply or another feed store nearby carries an organic starter feed, you want to go with that. Then at about 20 weeks or when they start laying, you can switch to an organic layer feed.
You can't feed scratch unless it is certified organic because most grains aren't organic and likely GMO.
If your birds are free ranging, they can't be on land that has had herbicides or pesticides applied in something like 10 years.

Lots of people worm on a schedule but depending on where you live, they may never need worming. Warm wet climates are much worse for worms. I use a probiotic powder called Gro2Max that helps ward off any internal parasites. I've only wormed one chicken in my life. A healthy chicken can handle a light load of parasitic worms with few ill effects.
I have used an herbal wormer from time to time but not often.
When I've had fecal samples read, they had no worms.

Last edited:
Howd you get your herbal wormer? Havent asked anyone but havent seen it on a shelf either

None of the organic wormers I have seen are effective. Same can be said for some of those that are not, depending upon the type of worms. You can control problem by simply culling birds that are not able to handle the worm burden. Cull underweight / under performing hens.

Howd you get your herbal wormer? Havent asked anyone but havent seen it on a shelf either
You won't find it on a shelf anywhere.
I've used this = http://www.fiascofarm.com/herbs/mollysherbals.php/categories/herbal-wormer

None of the organic wormers I have seen are effective. Same can be said for some of those that are not, depending upon the type of worms. You can control problem by simply culling birds that are not able to handle the worm burden. Cull underweight / under performing hens.

X2

x3! Having an 'organic' flock is a commitment to learning the standards and rigidly following them. Look up the requirements for having organic eggs and chickens, and decide if it's for you. It's complicated! Getting certified is not really the issue, but doing things according to the plan matters. Mary

Back
Top Bottom