Keeping Roosters That Others Hate

Ladyprinc3ss

Hatching
Mar 14, 2019
Hi! We have chickens at our barn where we also board horses. Two of our chickens are aggressive roosters and while our family has trained them not to be aggressive to us, our public boarders are being attacked and we cannot train every new barn visitor to establish their dominance. Our roosters can't keep attacking our boarders and we DO NOT want to get rid of them. Please help!!!

Realistically, the only way to stop it is to keep them confined. Truthfully, over-aggressive birds are not worth keeping, especially if you have strangers or customers coming onto your property. The last thing you want is someone threatening you with a lawsuit if they would happen to get severely spurred or scratched by one of your birds. They pose a safety risk and it's up to you to correct it.

Roos are a dime a dozen. Get a couple nice even tempered ones that add appeal to your property and business and ditch these two.

Be nice now. They also said they don’t want to get rid of them. I wouldn’t either. Stray dogs are a dime a dozen too. Some of us don’t care.
I am being nice and serious. The OP's efforts to dominate promote aggression in the roosters. I keep a good number of roosters and explored the issue so have a handle on what is going on.

Hi! We have chickens at our barn where we also board horses. Two of our chickens are aggressive roosters and while our family has trained them not to be aggressive to us, our public boarders are being attacked and we cannot train every new barn visitor to establish their dominance. Our roosters can't keep attacking our boarders and we DO NOT want to get rid of them. Please help!!!
It seems you have two choices - either lock them up or get rid of them. I guess not boarding horses would be a third option, but I'm guessing that one's out. As Rosemarythyme said, you are setting yourself up for a lawsuit of one of those roosters attacks and injures someone. It wouldn't take much for someone to get a serious infection from a spur in the leg, arm or other part. Facial injuries to a child would be devastating, but could happen. Think of how tall a child is, then think about where those spurs are when that rooster is flying at them, spurs first.

Back
Top Bottom