Keeping water nipples from freezing.

Dennis52

Chirping
Oct 18, 2015
Cape Cod
I have an interesting idea and want to run it past those of you that might have tried it or would like to.
I have a 5 gallon bucket outside the coop that feeds a 3" line for 3 ft. inside the coop area. Note the sleeping area, but underneath in the dining room.
As soon as it starts getting colder I'm going to do two things with the bucket. Add an aquarium heater, and, add an aquarium submersible pump inside the bucket with an aquarium hose that will reach to the end of the watering pipe. This will grab the warmer water and run it to the end and push the colder water back to the bucket.
Tell me where this is a problem please. I live on Cape Cod and rarely get below 0 and really cold not all that often.

I'd love some feedback.
Thanks,
DG

Recirculating the water will keep it from freezing.

Personally I'd just move the bucket into the coop and switch to horizontal nipples that typically don't freeze. Keep the aquarium heater nearby just in case things get to chilly.

Good luck.

Does the Ice get 3" thick if not I would not worry about it. I think you should be able to get by with just the heater, Water is a good transfer of heat.

Recirculating the water will keep it from freezing.

Personally I'd just move the bucket into the coop and switch to horizontal nipples that typically don't freeze. Keep the aquarium heater nearby just in case things get to chilly.

Good luck.
Ditto Dat^^^

and.... HN's will freeze...maybe not as quick as VN's, but still.....add the AQ heater.
You can see here that the cold is transmitted via the metal pin

This worked very well for the last 2 winters for me, 1st of those was frigid for weeks at a time.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples

Back
Top Bottom