keeping water unfrozen in winter

Sylvie

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 15, 2008
Ohio
The feed store told me to hang the brooder light above the water in the coop to keep it from freezing.
My chickens are 17 weeks and I wondered if this would be end up being too many hours of light. They suggested keeping it on 24/7 in below freezing temps.
Has anyone done this?

I do. I use the red heat lamp bulbs. They do not have alot of light output to them and produce good heat. I make sure I have my waterers under them all of the time in winter.

Jeremy

they make special heaters to go under your chicken water container, but we just use small plug in heated stock buckets, if the chickens are big enough DH says they won't fall in the bucket.
its works for 4 years.

Quote:
250 watts if I remember right. Always make sure the holder is rated for the wattage of bulb used and is made of ceramic.

They make plastic waterers that have heat elements in them. $35 is the price around here. The galvanized ones are too pricy for me.

jeremy

I agree - I already have the heat lamps but 75 and 150 watts only. I do have the base for the 250 watt (thanks for the warning!), just need another bulb so I might give that a try. I do have to consider the cost of electricity though because my electric budget just shot through the roof. If the dog bowl waterer would be less expensive to run, it might be worth the $35.

I've considered the water bowl but in our winters we only go out there once a day. I have 13 chickens and I don;t want to have to go out there to fill/ clean it all the time.

Jeremy

Back
Top Bottom