Kentucky people

Quote:
Im in NW tennessee and the weather here is crazy. It don't really get very cold till Jan and feb. It starts back to the iffy weather after that. We get ice storms and you will need to put in a heat lamp and I would cover the tractor with a tarp. Thats what we do with our tractor. WE cover it and place bricks all around the trp on the ground so no draft gets in and the heat lamp is attached to the highest point in the pitched roof and pointed at the water. The water will freeze hard as a rock so you will need a way to keep it from freezing. We have different methods. In the larger coops we use the heated dog water bowls. They work great and hold a gallon of water. I have to pack water out to them everyday but it's better they have water instead of ice. We learned this our first year with chickens. We dumped out their frozen block of ice twice a day. In the smaller pens we use heat lamps pointed at the water bottles. They may have a thin layer of ice in the dish part but they can peck through that. with the ones that are ike the rabbit feeders, we bring them in at night to thaw and take them out fresh warm water in the morning. Of course we check it through the day.
All coops and pens get covered with wood, tin or fiberglass. This year we got fruit trays made out of paper fiber to use as insualtion. There are 125 in a bundle and we got 82 bundles. We're going to line the walls of the big coop, sikie pen and the other pens which are smaller. The smaler pens we will cover their runs with tarps so they can still go out but won't have to suffer the harsh weather and winds.

In my area, it is mostly muddy and wet all winter till the bad part and then it's ice. So to cover the runs actually is better for the chickens so they aren't constantly in very cold mud. Then it freezes at night and it's on their feet. I hate to think their feet are cold.

You can build a heater for the tractor by using a popcorn can and a light bulb. There are insstructions somewhere in this site on how to build them. I just prefer a heat lamp and get the ones that are ceramic, not plastic. The plastic will melt under the heat and can cause a fire. I only use those inside in the brooders because the bulbs I use are only 60 watt.

To anybody that may be close enough to me to be able to take advantage of the opportunity but I know where you can get as many of the fruit trays you want for dirt cheap. They are at an orchard that went out of business and my nephew got the building in the will. There where 7 skid of them. There are other things in there that can be of use like bushel baskets and 1/2 bushel baskets and huge wooden boxes that can be converted to a pen. I know they want $10 for each wooden box. They don't have tops but they would be great to use to make pens. And the wood is thick too. If anybody is interested I can direct you to my nephew and he would be glad to get rid of this stuff. Just bring a truck or trailer. He may give the fruit trays away. I know he would be happy to get rid of them. The building is located around the Union City area in Tennessee. He is off on Fridays and weekends and gets off work at 5pm. Just PM me and i'll give you his info.

Thanks so much! We built an "A" frame run and a peaked roof so ice and leaves would slide off easier. The tractor coop is really small and short for portability, it is 4.5 x 5 feet for 5 wyandottes (plus the mobile run). We move it every day. I have LED rope lights across the top and a 100 watt reptile heating ceramic bulb that does not emit light. I have it triple fastened to the ceiling. I will probably add hardware cloth over the guard, but since it doesn't glow, henny penny isn't fascinated by it as she is the rope lights. She just watches them and coos.
cool.png
They are on a timer, but no thermostatic plug yet for the heat lamp, haven't found one yet. The lights come on at 4 am, and the heater will be thermostat controlled. I don't have any insulation yet. I would drive out to get some, but it is a really long drive for that. It might be cheaper to buy the foam
roll.png
I was thinking of a heated dog water dish to sit the waterer in, since it is hanging....I will probably just sit it in the dog dish like I have seen others do. I have a plastic waterer, and will be covering the run with plastic, so am afraid to put a heat lamp out there. I hope we are ventilated and insulated enough. I did put straw on the floor over the wood shavings to give extra insulation since it is up off the ground.

Thanks for the input, Anne

Quote:
Most of mine sleep in a 3-sided building, so I doubt you'd need to insulate. But the water will freeze up, so if you can get a heater go ahead. I just go out once or twice a day and break it up, they're usually pretty good about keeping it loosened up during the day.

Thanks! I might get a heated dish so I don't have to stomp around in a storm. I will keep it near but not in the tractor to keep humidity down
smile.png
Thanks for the input. I am not a worried now, although I wish we could get eggs. Do pullets ever start laying in the cold if they haven't started yet? They have light and warmth, all the food they can eat, moved daily, and fresh agua. Now for just an EGGGGG. They are only eating the most expensive soy-free food money can buy from the pearly gates....I should get a golden egg!
fl.gif

Anne

In my experience, wyandottes are bad for laying in the cold. The ones my dad had were the first ones to quit laying when the temperatures dropped. But yours are young, right? They should start laying around 24-28 weeks I'd say, probably nearer the end of winter
smile.png

Hello KY Chicken People!
I love this website! It is great.
Now to my post...

Our first experience with chickens... we were given 4 hatchlings born 5-10-10... 3 roos for sure, holding out hope that the "runt" is really a hen... still no eggs, they are kid/family raised, we pick them up and socialize with them every day... so they are pets. Now the tough part... we need to get rid of 2 of the roos. We'd prefer they went to a farm (so I can tell the kids we took the chickens to a farm in all honesty). I know most people do not want roosters, but I figured if we could find a home for them it would be here.

I can deliver them or meet you with the 1 or 2 roos. We are in the Bardstown area, but would travel most of the state or Southern Indiana to get them to a good farm.

We want to raise chickens (for the eggs), but obviously our boys club isn't making very much progress! So let me know if you have hens for sale.

I can send a picture of the Roos if you are interested. My e-mail address is [email protected].

Thank You

Mrs. Turbo :

Our Wyandottes continue to lay in the winter, but only 50% of them. We strart hatching birds for us to keep in Jan. Wow, that is just around the corner.

Rebecca thanks for the positive thought
smile.png
I so dread winter. The wyndottes I got from you are Beautiful, I have three roosters and I am not sure I can part with any of them. I am already thinking how I can make separate arrangements for them.​

Yes we get forest fires in KY, though seldom as fast moving and intense as out West. Yes most of them are caused by arson or stupidity. Thank heaven for the rain we have had the last couple days. I live in Powell Co, and Red River Gorge is a tourist attraction. Some people simply cannot go camping without a campfire. The worst weekend USFS issued 200 citations for fires, and found 20 burning untended (prob. saw the officer or trail volunteer coming). The smoke gets pretty dense when the wind dies down. Then I can't go outside without coughing and reaching for my inhaler.

I see a few runny noses in the coop, but they seem as bright eyed and bushy tailed as usual. I finally got a full complement of eggs yestereday since my Marans momma started brooding a couple months ago. Her chick is mostly grown now.

Well, started all the girls on light this week. Only a few of the wyandotte and buckeye pullets have spitting out eggs; none of my 7 month old EEs and Olive Eggers. The year+ hens have been slacking since their molt. I was able to scrounge enough eggs to hatch out 11 glw last week.

Quote:
They'll be fine... no extra insulation is needed. A local friend here has a coop that is open on the bottom and about half of her chickens roost up in the coop and the other half roost in the old holly tree all year. And their Guinease roost in a cedar tree. If you have the electricity to run a heater for the water take advantage of it! I don't have that luxury so I used a black rubber bowl in the Winter I got from TSC. This way I just dump out the ice and refill with fresh water. Like Shelley said, the chickens will usually keep it busted throughout the day. I put up my plastic waterers in the Winter.

Quote:
They'll be fine... no extra insulation is needed. A local friend here has a coop that is open on the bottom and about half of her chickens roost up in the coop and the other half roost in the old holly tree all year. And their Guinease roost in a cedar tree. If you have the electricity to run a heater for the water take advantage of it! I don't have that luxury so I used a black rubber bowl in the Winter I got from TSC. This way I just dump out the ice and refill with fresh water. Like Shelley said, the chickens will usually keep it busted throughout the day. I put up my plastic waterers in the Winter.

I need to get me some of those pans so I don't have to carry a bucket of hot water out of the house everyday
hmm.png

Though I'd still have to do that for the quails', rabbits', guinea pigs', and doves' waters, so I guess it wouldn't help all that much
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom