Kentucky people

Hello fellow Kentuckians!

Could anyone tell me of a known source for gold laced Wyandottes in Kentucky? I have my heart set on this breed. If I could get some chicks locally, it would be better than ordering thru the mail. If not, does anyone know of any Group Order events locally??? I will go the mail order route if it's my only choice. I thought it worth asking.

Hello fellow Kentuckians!

Could anyone tell me of a known source for gold laced Wyandottes in Kentucky? I have my heart set on this breed. If I could get some chicks locally, it would be better than ordering thru the mail. If not, does anyone know of any Group Order events locally??? I will go the mail order route if it's my only choice. I thought it worth asking.
I met a breeder at the Lawrenceburg swap this past weekend that had a few. They looked really healthy. He seemed to be primarily focused on RIR's and barred rocks, so I'm not sure how many Wyandottes he might have available, or whether it's a breed he typically produces, but I got his contact info. I don't have it on me at the moment, but if you're interested I can forward it to you.

@jonesy4000 Yes! That would be wonderful! Lawrenceberg isn't far from Lexington at all. It would be great to have contact before since the hatchery I am considering has chicks available right around the time of the swap. It would be incredible good luck to find some chicks locally.

On another note, has anyone else used a coop from a kit? I bought one from Rural King in Winchester. It's worth the money I paid as far as I can tell, but is not ready to be set out in the weather as is. I'm painting all the wood with high quality exterior primer with an anti-mildew top coat. There's also a very, very small coop kit I saw at Home Depot that looks like it's not really KY weather resistant. I had to pass on that one as it only looked okay for 2 chickens max. I'm well aware of all the negatives of the kits, but for a very small flock, in a suburban backyard, I feel it will work out just fine with a few modifications.

If anyone is aware of Group Orders or is also interested, let me know. It's always good to have a backup plan in case I can't get my gold laced Wyandotte chicks local.

Last edited:
@Tiffany24 ask @pdholbrook about some buff laced polish.... it might work out for the both of you.

Just thought I would share about my order. I settled in between shipping and buying local. I placed an order with Meyer Hatchery because they are willing to ship my tiny flock of 4 from Ohio. They still need to be shipped, but being only one state away and most of the trip being straight down I75, I figured it might just work. Fingers crossed that my chicks have a happy hatching day and journey home. I'm going to be on pins and needles all that week!

@Nofowlplay Thanks! I'm trying Meyer Hatchery in Ohio. If that doesn't work out, I will try local again. I'll share some photos if all goes well.

Hello! We are breeders under the name Playin' Chicken Farm in Elizabethtown, ky. We are NPIP participants and Avian Flu Free per state tests. We're also Kentucky Proud members!

We raise and breed:
Gold Laced Polish
Silver Laced Polish
White Crested Black Polish
Black Crested White Polish
White Crested Blue Polish

Sultans
Silkies
-buff
-white
-mixed
Golden Sebrights