Kentucky people

Our guineas are almost a year (think in a couple of months, hope they start laying eggs this spring, these are my 1st guineas) good luck with making bread tomorrow, mines doing the 2nd rise right now then time to bake it. Think I'll go watch chicken tv for awhile and collect eggs....

Have a great day everybody
big_smile.png

Howdy again fellow hillbillies! Just processed and ate my first roo the other day.....I am now hooked on raising my own meat birds. I got some mutts and I am thinking about adding a few more hens(of a meaty type) to "upgrade" my stock. The columbian marked roo was my supper haha.

IMG_2239.jpg

They are a dash of EE, sprinkle of BO and some gamefowl. The roos are suprizingly huge. I am thinking about crossing something in that will add broodiness and size to them. Perhaps Brahma.
IMG_2188.jpg

ThiefPouter06 wrote:
They are a dash of EE, sprinkle of BO and some gamefowl.

I love this...

I have a Nov. chickie that looks just like yours... dont ya just love them feathery cheeks! I want to get a good pic. of her (I think its a her). I believe she is a mix of EE and OEGB.

Ok this might be a stupid question to ask but here it goes...
Could a egg be fertilized by 2 roosters? I've got 2 BO roosters and 1 OEGB, just wondering
hide.gif

Quote:
I love this...

I have a Nov. chickie that looks just like yours... dont ya just love them feathery cheeks! I want to get a good pic. of her (I think its a her). I believe she is a mix of EE and OEGB.

Ok this might be a stupid question to ask but here it goes...
Could a egg be fertilized by 2 roosters? I've got 2 BO roosters and 1 OEGB, just wondering
hide.gif

I dont think so! but Im not sure!

Quote:
No but I do think a hen could have a clutch where some eggs are fertilized by differant roos. Basically female birds can "store" sperm for two weeks. So if you want to mate a hen to a differant roo and be sure it was from him you would only want to use the eggs she lays 14 days after she was put up with the new roo.

No one gets out of the coop today...maybe tomorrow. Too much snow. And I don't want a repeat of last night.

Last night as I was putting up the coop, one roo decided to roost on the 7' tall roof of the coop. I went to put my hand under his feet to gently put him in the coop like I normally do when they roost there and he tried to walk away.

"Well nothing doing"' I think. I had to go to work and this was slowing me down so I grabbed a leg and you would have thought I was assaulting a woman in my back yard.

D.gif
Awwaaak...awwaaaaaaaak...awaaaaaaaaaaaaaak. etc. etc. etc. only louder each time. That along with the commotion of flapping his wings and the waking of the whole coop; who by now are starting to voice their opinions about the matter, I start to fear that someone might call the cops to come and investigate the alleged assault.
barnie.gif

Well that did it. This otherwise mild mannered young roo won a one way ticket to "the holding cage" on the back porch.

I still have about 12 roos that need to go. He just volunteered a little earlier.

There is an article up on Kentucky.com about the folks who are trying to get an ordinance allowing backyard chickens passed in Berea. If you have a chance, add some supportive comments below the article so we can help dispel some of the negative comments others have already made.
~jim

Okay last I checked I wasn't a roo... But P'nut Butter(standard Cochin) has been running up to me the last two days and squatting every time I go back there... And chats at me the whole time... So I oblige her with a quick scratch on the back she fluffs it off and is happy the rest of the time I'm out there... She is so funny, this is our nosey one that has to see everything you are doing and jumps right up in the middle of it all to help.

Quote:
NEVER we will have this for the rest of the year, global warming ya know
tongue2.gif
bun.gif
lau.gif

Actually it is global warming. For some reason the cold isn't staying at the poles anymore, and the ice up there is disappearing.

Let's see: the lack of ice to reflect the sun's heat causes more heat to be absorbed at the poles which causes an increase in air pressure which pushes the air at the poles further outward than normal. which means further south. This changes air flow patterns which...combined with the central pacific heating up causing an increase in moisture absorption in the form of clouds which when it meets cold air becomes snow.

Things which make you go hummm....

Water is a great heat sink..(technical term) but water can only absorb so much heat before it starts melting ice caps. When the ice caps are gone, global warming will accelerate at a noticable pace. Right now it isn't noticable because we still have ice caps.

Kind of like your Pepsi stays at 32 degrees when over a burner as long as you have ice in the cup, but when the ice is gone the temp of your Pepsi will start to increase.

I don't care for warm Pepsi.

Back
Top Bottom