Khaki Campbell internal pip to external pip?

jennjen2011

Chirping
Mar 21, 2023
How long after the internal pip does the external pip happen? There does seems to be almost a bruised look on one spot of the outer shell if that makes sense? Is that where it is trying to get out? And after how long should I be concerned and help? Sorry for all the questions, google gives like 10 different answers for any questions I have🤦🏼‍♀️

That’s definitely an internal pip
usually 24 hours from internal to external
If I have ones that I’m not sure how long it’s been but I know it will be longer then 24 hours since I last saw it by the time I wake up I will make a tiny pin hole beforeI go to bed
just above the beak
When I say tiny I mean no bigger then a freshly sharpened pencil end
98% of the time they still make their own external pip amc hatch themselves ( it’s more a piece of mind for me )
Making a big hole may prevent them from doing it themselves and put the membrane at risk

I agree move the hatched babies
If you are quick and the room your in is not freezing cold you won’t hurt the ones hatching
I never leave mine in till the hatch is done
I remove them as soon as they are up running around 4-8 hours normally
That's what I eventually did, I actually turned on the shower in our bathroom and got the room hot and steamy before I opened the incubator. He has hatch now and is doing great! It's the blonde one❤️❤️

Attachments

• PXL_20230324_214518507.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230324_214518507.MP.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 7
Been like this since 7am!
In 8-12 hours ( sometimes earlier sometimes later ) you should see a second hit
Most of mine hit that time frame but others go off course
I had one external pip while I was there so I know exact time. I came back at the 8 hours to see and he was zipping and hatched while I was there
He had a huge air cell though as he had a small pin hole I didn’t notice till around 7 days
He was probably in the air cell longer then most and why he hatched so fast after external

It has been 29 hrs now since first pip! Is this normal? They still haven't completely make a hole in the shell, I know it can take up to 48 hours to completely hatch, but does it take this long to make an actual hole or are they having trouble? Thanks for all the helpful comments and tip from everyone, it has helped my first time experience so much!
Picture one looks like only one hit but picture 2/3 Looks like it’s made the second hit
If this is 2 eggs I would help the first egg by making the hole bigger maybe quarter size so you can see in and see what’s going on
The other egg that has 2 hits is what you want to see and would let it do it’s thing

Can you move the hatched duckling to a brooder so the one trying to hatch can have some peace and quiet?
@New duck mommy 2021
I agree move the hatched babies
If you are quick and the room your in is not freezing cold you won’t hurt the ones hatching
I never leave mine in till the hatch is done
I remove them as soon as they are up running around 4-8 hours normally

Back
Top Bottom