Khaki having seizures

Kyleeros3

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2018
Hi there im brand new to the family here so i hope im doing this right..

I have a khaki campbell drake that ive had from a baby for aprox 6-8 months thats had problems since i got him i lost his mate about 2 weeks after i got them and have no idea why i lost her but now hes been my baby ever since but has had serious neurological issues ever since i got him. He seems to lose his balance alot i catch him sleeping without his head behind his wing and just resting on the ground i thought he was dead a few times then he seemed to be fine for another month or so but today he went out to take a bath and when doing so he started to seize right after he was going like crazy in circles in the water then all of a sudden it wasnt good legs stiffening wings flapping like crazy head and neck in all weird directions and positions and shaky still hasnt held up his head right. Im just wondering if anyone else has had problems like this with there waterfowl.. its absolutely heart breaking and ive tried a ton of vitamin minerals electrolytes before and not much changed. If anyone can help or maybe just guide me in a direction sure would appreciate it.

Have you also posted on the duck forum under “Forums” at the top of the page? It sounds like the duck has a neurological problem. Other poultry and animals suffer from seizures. I doubt if there is anything that you can do other than what you have tried so far. Anticonvulsant drugs such as phenobarbital are used in animals to treat seizures, but once they are stated, they must be given for life. I would not even consider giving them to poultry. I would give vitamin E, B1 thiamine, and selenium which are the ones used to treat wry neck, and all are found in Poultry Cell or NutriDrench. Selenium is in eggs, tuna, sunflower sees if your vitamin does not have that.

I was wondering about the selenium since mi is reallly low with that i have had to give that to my hogs before. I was just hoping that there was some hope i dont wanna see him like that for the rest of his life and i cant even let him blend into my 40 other ducks im afraid my muscovy drakes will beat the crap outta him if they see that..

I had an issue last year with a Peaking. She had suffered from botulism. Seizures can be caused by illness like Botulism and neurological. One thing that may help is Niacin (not the flush free). Ducks can be plagged with several issues due to lack of Niacin. Vitamin deficiency is another key factor. If you plan on giving them a boost on vitamins it may not be a bad idea to include salenium. Selenium in combination with vitamin E especially has been known to have possitive effects on other conditions that are caused by neurological issues. Poly-vi-sol without iron is a liquid vitamin for children you can use as well it to has niacin in it but you may want to supliment with crushed Niacin pills.
Depending on their current surroundings outside and they have gotten ahold of rotting vegetation that may be laying around in standing water botulism is possible. The way I had to treat that was to not feed my duck and syringe a low dose of Epsom salt and water to help flush her out then boost her back up with electrolytes later after she was clear of what was in her gut. How often are the seizures?

After he was bathing it was almost like they didnt stop at all for a good 2 3 hours now they seem to be slowing down to every few min and not as crazy as they where before i read alot about pekins having them he dosent even get out to the yard much unless its above 50 i have him inside ever since fall just because he acted so weird since ive had him i didnt want to see my other ducks beating him up hes not very big at all ill have to try some new vitamins for him if i dont loose him first

I had just found a chick that had wry neck that I wanted to take home and treat. Wry Neck can be caused by Nurological issues, I was shocked to see how well using selenium in conjunction with vitamin E worked for this chick. I started her on Friday and by Tuesday this week all signs of Wry Neck were gone. It was severe too. The only left over issue was her head is cocked a little but she is running around not falling over and she will do great. Nurological Wry Neck is neurologically similar to Seaizuer. I wish him the best I know its tough but at least he is in caring company.

I had just found a chick that had wry neck that I wanted to take home and treat. Wry Neck can be caused by Nurological issues, I was shocked to see how well using selenium in conjunction with vitamin E worked for this chick. I started her on Friday and by Tuesday this week all signs of Wry Neck were gone. It was severe too. The only left over issue was her head is cocked a little but she is running around not falling over and she will do great. Nurological Wry Neck is neurologically similar to Seaizuer. I wish him the best I know its tough but at least he is in caring company.

How is the best way to get them to take it he seems like hes doin a little better but still in rough shape

I would crush it up and syringe it. If you are giving him something me of the Niacin I would only do 1/4 dosage at a time. Since Niacin and Salinium are pills and vitamin E are normally liquid tabs you can mix them together with a little water (couple drops) and put it in a syringe. Should be able to shoot it down his bill. Also if you go to the grocery store pick up some parsley, spinach and oregano. This too will help with magnesium, salenium, and plant base vitamins I’m sure he will like it too.

Back
Top Bottom