Kid love------oh no

trishok8

Songster
11 Years
Feb 18, 2008
Scituate
I have two dwarf nigerians. A doe and a wether (hopefully) he was banded two weeks ago. Well, this morning I was brushing them in the barn and he starting mating with the doe------alot-----------I would have been exhausted....

My question, what is the likelihood that he can get her pregnant? He is still has all the "equipment" nothing has fallen off yet.

These are my first goats and I really hadn't thought of breeding her...I guess it might not be my decision

I really don't know how long it takes after banding for a wether to become not fertile...hopefully someone who does know will come along....hopefully the banding has done the important part and he still just has some hormones raging in his bloodstream! I would separate them ASAP, just in case, until you know for sure that he's not fertile. How old are they? And are they brother and sister?? Just wondering, in the event that he does get your little doe pregnant!!!

I doesn' sound to me like he is getting the job done. Usually they mate really fast, super fast and the buck will fall off to the side when he is done. It sounds to me like he is just spinnning his wheels.

AFAIK you're ok. Even wethers act bucky. Case in point is Nicky, a goat I'm boarding right now. He was born here last year, sold as a wether, and wethered at 8 weeks of age. He still acts out the deed...even though he looks like a girl down there
roll.png
There are other organs in the body that produce testosterone, so you never will have a hormone free boy...

Once you've banded, there is no conversation between the testicles and the outside world. Blood circulation is cut off, sperm cords are crushed. I would say, two weeks in, any sperm that was already awaiting deposit has been urinated out.

If he was emasculated, however, I'd worry. I see you say yours was banded, but just for future reference...emasculation doesn't always work the first time and can leave functioning parts...so in that case you'd have to repeat the emasculation and keep 'em separated.

Yep he is just trying to act out the deed..with the band in place after 12 to 24 hrs the cords die and he isnt a buck any longer. The testicles usually take about a month to fall off and I bet if youlooked the bag is shriveled up, so no worries...the only problem is if they wethered him with a undestended testicle. Hopefully they got both of them and he is just playing with her.

ok, good to know. I didnt know that once they were banded, that was "it". Thanks everyone!

FYI---it was quick, it was three times in about 1 minute---he was really fast about it which is why I would have been exhausted.

Last edited:
Aslo I keep a wether in with my does so I can tell when some are in heat. Tehy might not have the equipment but still have a brain...My boyettes help alot to tattle on the girls....LOL...

Back
Top Bottom