kid trouble **Update****

crazy cat lady

Songster
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
NW Illinois
We have new kids about 3 days old. When we found them, one was alsmost frozen to death andwe brought her in the warm hous and she is now tlomga bptt;e amd eatomg good. Yes, they both have gotten thier colostrum(sp?). The 2nd one her mother was cleaning her or so we thought, so we let mommma finish taking care of her while we fed the 4 kids thier bottles andthen when we finished feeding those 4 we went and got the little one. Mom was nowhere near her and she almost half frozen. again we brought her in and she got her colostrom. She too is eating good. My question is is there a supplement or something we can give to them as neither one will stand up on all four legs? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to call the large animal vet tomorrow also to see what he says.

Thanks in advanace

Took the little One (Miracle), is her name) to the vet this afternoon and she got her BoSe shot and and a antibiotic (baytril) shot as she was also runnning a little bit of fever. Fingers crossed that this will help her.

Thank you!!

Eva

Last edited:
Not sure if someone got back to you or not or if you got a hold of the vet.. first I would definately keep them warm..I am in NE Ohio and it is snowing wiht low teens with wind chills in single digits here so I imagine it is cold there too. The hope would be that mom would take these kids and allow them to nurse.. is this mom's first freshening? with four I doubt it.. has she been a good mother in past? she could feel overwhelmed.. anyway I always hate to bottle feed and if that is the route you have to take then use this recipe:
1 gallon whole cows milk (Homogenized Vit D added)
1 cup Buttermilk
1 can evaporated milk (must not be low or fat free)

Pour off enough whole milk to fit in the buttermilk and evaporated milk.

In a pinch, you can feed just whole cows milk. Just remember that no matter what you are feeding, introduce it slowly to the kid, as to not upset their rumen.

this is far better than any of the mixes that you can purchase... or if you know someone with goats that can give you enough goat milk to use would be an option.. I am glad to hear they got colostrum. if you have any powerpunch or nutridrench it wouldn't hurt to give them some of that for a couple days either.. just squirt into their mouths.. keep us posted and updated on their conditions.

Sadly we lost the 2nd one. She was really bloated. The first one is eating real good. I did get ahold of the vet tkoday and he said to exercise her legs just llike a human going thru physical therapy. and we will take her into the office on Monday and he's going to give her a vitamiln B (bocium(sp) shot)

Just praying that this ckold snap will relinquish it's hold. Praying that the shot will help her.

I'll keep you posted on her condition.

Thank You so much.

Eva

Winter births are so hard on the little ones in these northern states. I'm in NE Ohio and we are in the low teens with lots of lake effect snow.
Be sure to hold the babies head straight up when you are bottle feeding it.
Good Luck!

1/4-1/2cc of Bose...
smile.png
Depends on how big the kids are.

Is there a place in the barm that you can make them a little shelter and add a heat lamp? I am also in IL and know how bitter cold it is.
Is the mom refusing to let them nurse??? If so you can you tie her and let the babies suckle.
I also agree with bheila on the BoSe shot. If you do not see any inprovement you can make a sling to help them stand.
Good luck.

That's the part I don't undeerstand. The moms that had their first kids were great at taking care of the little ones. This time around they half cleaned the babies and then it's like they deserted them. WE have lost 10 babies to this freaking frigid weather.

We had a per play yard (2 together) and put plywood between the milking stanchions and the pen tko block a lot of the cold. We also had 2 heat lamps and ended up cutting the pen in half by putting a tarp in over a couple chairs and making a lean-to by the heat lamps. Then I saw where it's suppose to get down to -11 tonite here. So ended up bringing the remaining kids up to the house and they are now in our heated garage.

There are still 5 little ones out in the barn with their mothers who are taking fantastic care of their kids. In fact 2 of them were under the heated water buckets we have for t hem.

As for pictures I have to take some and try to figure out how to post them on here. I'm not too smart when it comes to posting pics. But I will try.

The one we have in the house in our office is the one we are going to take to the vets office Monday for here shot. She's the only one we didn't get a weight on. But by the size of her I'm guessing around 7 lbs.

Thank you ever so much for the help and I will keep you posted on how they are doing and xpecially little Miracle (that's what we named her).

Just a tip for the future, NEVER feed any kid or lamb that is cold. They will not be able to digest anything. Make sure you warm them thoroughly first. You can either place them in a trash bag (with their head out, of course), and dunk their body in a bucket of warm water, use a heat box, hair dryer, or heat lamp. You can also google instructions on giving dextrose injections into their body cavity near the stomach to warm them. Just make sure those babies are warm before you feed them anything! You know they're warm enough when you can put a finger in its mouth and its warm.

Sorry you lost the baby. It's always so disappointing.
sad.png

We lost another one to the cold early this morning. We brought him into the house and I have a corn sock that I put in the microwave for a minute and a half and we put him in a box wlith the heated corn sock, but unfortunately, that wasn't enough. The last one we brought into the house we wrapped her into a heavy afghan and she is up andabout eating like a little pig.

The remaining six we had out in the barn were brought up and put into our heated garage. Thankfully we dildn't lose anymore.

Yes it gets very frustrating, we are trying to build our herd up with does so we can start milking them when they get older.

Still working on pics tho.

Back
Top Bottom