Happy Henny

Songster
May 30, 2018
VA
Hello,

I have a 3 months old silkie that I think had not eaten or drank for a few days. Maybe 3, 6 or possibly 8 days. (I know it is unlikely for her to survive the later days.)

We went on vacation for 10 days and paid someone to check on our chickens every other day. My SILKIE Coop was to be left shut and all the silkies to stay in for the 10 days with their food and water because these silkies are young and some are not able to get back up the ramp to get back in the coop. Day 10 when we returned I find her chirping with head down and light as a feather. I have been giving her water, medicated chick crumble and nutridrench. She chirps constantly, eats on her own but I have to syringe water and put vitamins in her beak. I put her Crest in a ponytail so she can see. She poops but there is not alot of white which is usually an indication of very little urine as I understand. It is also my understanding of either her kidneys are not processing the water or not getting enough water. I'm leaning towards her kidneys not processing because a dehydrated chickens usually still passes urine(white) with their poo. Please correct me if I have a misunderstanding of kidney function etc... How do you treat a chicken with kidney issues? Does anyone have any other ideas of what is happening? TIA!

Hydration is the only way I know of treating kidney issues.
Why is it only one bird was without water?
I doubt if the bird was without water for more than 2 days or it probably wouldn't survive.

She was the only one that was unable to get.back in the coop where the food and water was kept. They have an enclosed run attached to the coop. There was not any food and water in. I dont exactly know when she let them out because we were gone. I'm actually thinking something else is going on. She has now taken a turn for the worst. She cant keep herself up. Ugg! :(

It may be a moot point since you already know she wasn't properly cared for but if you lose her, the only way to know for sure what the primary problem was, a diagnostic lab necropsy will tell.
VDACS Harrisonburg Regional Animal Health Laboratory
261 Mt. Clinton Pike
Harrisonburg, Virginia 22802-2551
Phone: 540-209-9130
Your therapy approach is good. Hydration and Nutri-Drench.

Sorry about your chicken. I would make sure that she is drinking and gets rehydrated before letting her eat. You could mix a lot of water in a small amount of feed, but usually it is best to give them water and electrolytes first. If you could get a piece (15 inches) of aquarium air tubing from the fish aisle at Walmart and a large syringe from a feed store, you could make a crop feeding tube. The tube end should be slightly heated with a lighter to soften the sharp edges. The tube is inserted into the right side of the chicken’s throat , avoiding the trachea (airway) at the base of the tongue. The picture below shows where to place the tube (where the syringe is.) I would start with 30 ml of water with electrolytes or plain water.

Here is the picture:
upload_2019-9-12_17-49-9.jpeg

UPDATE: Thank you all for the replies:)! She is eating on her own and now drinking on her own! I put some chick electrolytes and Probiotics in her water. I also put some selenium in her food, which she ate happily. She now has fully recovered, she is not peeping consistently or keeping her head down anymore, and she is now eager to get out of her box so I think I am going to move her out with her friends again:)!

Back
Top Bottom