Natural or Murder?

• Natural

• Murder

Results are only viewable after voting.

HuskerHens18

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Chickenlandia
My beautiful Partridge Cochin has been battling the heat. I've done everything I can, I've read articles and done it all.
At first I wasn't surprised when I found her collapsed in the chicken coop. Then I got closer.
My coop door is left open and so is the window straight back. The window has wire on it, it was untouched. There's ventilation through the whole center of the coop where I found her.
The run looked fine, but strangely I could not unlock the gate. It was jammed, so I had to hit the lock back in place to open the door.
Where the hen was laying, there was a pool of blood about the size of a tennis ball, still leaking fresh out of her beak when I walked in.
She was still barely warm when I found her, but her wings and legs had begun to get stiff already.
There was a small poof of feathers next to her.
I started looking her over and found scratches on her body, but in odd places. There were scratches under her wings and some extended up to her chest. There were some light ones near her keel.
Her abdomen appeared bruised? It was deep green, but it didn't appear well I'm photos.
Her comb was purple and a bit bloody, but her face itself looked fairly normal minus the blood smeared on it.
There's a patch of feathers gone off the right side of her back, but there aren't any scratches or blood in that spot at all.
I don't know how to check for a broken neck? Her neck was extremely limp and floppy, has shown no signs of stiffening up. To me it seemed a little stretched out, but I'm not used to handing freshly dead birds.
She was laying on her stomach, feet behind her.

My first thought: One of my roosters mated her to death.
Why I don't think so: I've known my flock for a long time, this hen was pretty high up in the pecking order and was rarely mated. When she was, she never fought. Even if she had, my King Rooster would not have tolerated that at all.
Second thought: She died from heat, then another chicken attacked her body(I've seen it before).
Why I don't think so: She had access to cold water, it's cloudy and nicely breezy today too. The way she was laying, all the exposed parts were spotless. That one featherless spot had no damage done at all to skin.
Third thought: Something got in there and killed her.
Why I don't think so: My dogs never alerted me, they go nuts when the chickens are upset. There are over 20 chickens in this pen, they're all wound free and seem happy-go-lucky as always. I've got a slow, recovering chicken, why not go after her instead?
I'll attach pictures of the body, so I hope something jumps out to you that screams "I know what killed her!"
20180704_152650.jpg
This is her funky neck. It stretched and flopped a little too much in my opinion. But I've never held an animal with a broken neck before.
20180704_152708.jpg
The strange, deep green bruising? Or something else?
20180704_152912.jpg
The spot where feathers were missing. No wounds on the skin. It's right behind her right wing.
20180704_153058.jpg
Her purple comb, bloody head feathers came from what leaked out of her mouth.
20180704_153135.jpg
Under her left wing is where the scratches are.
20180704_153202.jpg
20180704_153215.jpg
20180704_153305.jpg
20180704_153315.jpg
Scratches.
20180704_153344.jpg
Wet feathers.
20180704_153542.jpg
20180704_153542.jpg
More green between her legs.

Does anyone have any clue what happened? Even if you can't confirm what predator, can you confirm Natural death or Murder?
I'm in NE Nebraska, we've got just about every predator there is. Except bears.

Attachments

• 20180704_153417.jpg
    20180704_153417.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 10
If she’s been really struggling with the heat, perhaps she could’ve had some organ failure (the abdominal bruising is suspicious) or a heat related seizure and scratched herself up.
I would think for a very weak hen that it wouldn’t take much to send her over the edge. The scratches very well could be from a rooster mating her, either before or after death.

I doubt her neck is broken, they always tend to be very floppy after death, but you could carefully feel the vertebrae for abnormalities to be sure. Would you consider a necropsy?

I’m sorry for your loss, it’s tough when you’ve done all you can. :hugs

Would/could that have caused bleeding from the mouth? I have never had organ failure in my chickens so I'm unfamiliar with death symptoms. She's about a Year and a half old. I definitely agree that the bruising is weird because it was not there three days ago. She had had some diarrhea so I was treating that with an anti diarrhea from the vet (I'm treating the whole flock, wasn't just her) so I had been cleaning off her vent feathers every few days and NEVER saw any weird coloring like that. She had coccidia, but I've been drenching her with Sulfa powder in water for about 4-5 days now to make sure she's been drinking. Her poop has been looking so good lately. Her weight felt so good too. I'm positive her condition was only getting better health wise.
I can't control the heat, but I tried everything for her. Frozen veggies and ice cubes, I'd actually been leaving the door open just for her to increase as much airflow as possible. I put a fan in the coop even. I was changing water multiple times a day so there's was always cold/fresh water.
But I suppose, it would be like me wearing a heavy jacket + boots in this heat. Wouldn't matter how much fresh water I'd had, I would still die after a while.
I'm so bad at feeling for bones, I'm having my dad coming over later to take a look at her and feel her neck. And I'm still considering the necropsy, I have her on ice right now. I just spent over 300$ in necropsies the last 2 weeks, and that's after the discount. I really do want one, but I admit I'm a Penny Pincher and am hoping I won't need one.

:hugsI appreciate it
I’m really not an expert on this but I’ll try my best to at least give some ideas.
Organ failure is common in the fatal stages of heat stroke. I believe particularly with liver failure, the body cannot coagulate blood well and it can cause bleeding from the mouth. That being said, blood from the nose and mouth is normal after rigor mortis because bacteria causes bloat and it bubbles up, but it sounds like you found her early (within 3 hours).

The bruising would definitely be from internal bleeding of some sort, and the fact that she had diarrhea confirms that she really struggled with the heat. There’s not much you could’ve done, in my opinion. Some breeds can handle it and some can’t. You’re doing all you can for the heat, within practicality.

Do you have Marek's in your flock?
I'm not asking because of this hen. Because of your title thing on your profile page.
It came back negative, but I'm honestly not convinced because some of my flock still acts odd. I've got a Belgian Quail who has issues standing out of nowhere, but that's literally it. She still eats, drinks, flies, roosts, and lays eggs. She just can't stand

I am doing my FIRST home necropsy!! If you do NOT want to see this, DO NOT READ FURTHER!

I am going to post my pictures here, step by step.

Please note, thanks to the University's terrible information, this chicken has been frozen almost a week. The body is not in the greatest condition and it's literally a solid ice block. I had to take a break because even hours later there wasn't much improvement in thawing.

Here are my first photos:

20180710_204502.jpg
20180710_204705.jpg
After taking off skin, it was instantly this dark, almost black color where the green area was.
20180710_210628.jpg
I peel off skin farther and discover... this?? What is it?? My first thought is fat.. but I don't know...

Back
Top Bottom