Kinda nervous, it's the chicks first night in the coop

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
without being caged. I did leave their cage open so they could go in it, but I'm hoping that they are doing fine on their own. I'll be going out to check on them soon just to make sure. I'm kinda curious to see how it's going to go.

Hi Stone Family. I hope your chicks did alright. I remember that first night - it was hard to put those babies out there. I had to teach mine to go in their roost box. They wanted to sleep next to their crate in the run. For 3 nights, I went out in the dark after they were asleep, and moved them into the roost box. The 4th night I went out, and they were all in the roost box. 3 weeks after that, they all learned to sleep on the roost instead of on the ground. Now they are almost grown up.

It went really well. Last night I had to Chase them into the coop. Tonight I went to lock up and everyone was roosting together. I'm so glad they are doing well.

I put my chicks out overnight for the first time last week. I kept asking myself what could possibly go wrong? Was the coop strong enough to defeat the local raccoons, skunks, and cats? Maybe my babies will freeze to death! (Not likely!) I was up at the crack of dawn the next morning and they were all fine. They really seem much happier outside.

(I actually entertained the idea of camping out in the back yard that first night but common sense prevailed.)

Last edited:
Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom