kitchener plucker

comish83

Chirping
Oct 8, 2019
Northern Virginia
I am in the market for a plucker and noticed that Amazon has the 20" Kitchener Plucker in the link below on sale for $279 today (from $350). I am debating between that and the 20" YARDBIRD Plucker 21833, which is $400. Can anyone shed light on the performance (or lack thereof) the Kitchener Plucker? The only differences I notice are a built in hose attachment on the Yardbird and 1.2 vs 1.5 hp. It appears folks use a hose spraying the Yardbird anyway due to the hose attachment on the Yardbird not being that worthwhile anyway. Trying to figure out if it is worth it to pounce on the "deal" today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076VW45J6/?tag=backy-20

I have the yardbird machine. It does a fantastic job. I do 2 birds at a time.

The difference between a 1.2 and 1.5 motor will be significant. I would always opt for the heavier motor.

Amazon has the 20" Kitchener Plucker in the link below on sale for $279 today (from $350).
I bought it last year (maybe 2 years ago) when they had the same deal. It actually worked just fine though I have no comparison. It was more affordable and easier than building my own whiz bang. Made it a no brainer purchase for me. :cool:

The only thing was those attachment points that look like little latches between the base and the barrel... the metal they went into on the base was bent inward (if not slightly welded or having some flack left behind from manufacturing) and I had to "hit it with my purse" (hammer and screw driver) to get the latches into position. It wasn't a big deal or worth returning the item.

I'm a house wife that uses it and my teenage daughter did the assembly. It's fairly simple!

It will not be large enough to do over sized (40# dressed, broad breasted @24+ weeks) turkeys. I used it for standard size chickens and for Silkies. :drool Sometimes the bird would get stuck (at the bottom between the rubber fingers) and I would have to loosen it by spraying a little more water or nudging it.

I was able to do 2 birds at a time... but didn't do enough so far to decide if I like doing 1 or 2 birds better. Since it's just me processing... I feel I have more control doing one at a time and going at a casual pace... your mileage may vary.

Best wishes and happy plucking! :wee

I can only tell you about the Yardbird which I purchased this year and am very please with. At $279 for the Kitchener I would give it a go. It’s not like we over work these things. They spend more time sitting than anything else.

I am using a Kitchener. I use mine nearly every week. It does a great job. I can do an overgrown CornishX with it, But I can't seem to manage a turkey with it.
Just curious, how many birds do you usually process a week with it and how long have you had it? Are we talking 500 birds strong at this point?

But I can't seem to manage a turkey with it.
Could you elaborate on that some more? I am curious as to what it can do with a Turkey. Does it not get the whole Turkey clean like a chicken ? Does it not do much at all? Does it leave about 1/2 to be hand plucked. Having the Yardbird which is a similar unit. I have not done a Turkey yet and am curious how it would do. Any info would be great.

Just curious, how many birds do you usually process a week with it and how long have you had it? Are we talking 500 birds strong at this point?

I've had this a about a year now and have plucked somewhere around 200 birds with it. I usually do 3 birds a week but many weeks I have done 6 birds at a time, so its hard for me to put an exact number on it.

Could you elaborate on that some more? I am curious as to what it can do with a Turkey. Does it not get the whole Turkey clean like a chicken ? Does it not do much at all? Does it leave about 1/2 to be hand plucked. Having the Yardbird which is a similar unit. I have not done a Turkey yet and am curious how it would do. Any info would be great.

I think the problem is the size of the barrel compared to the shape of the turkey, they just can't roll around in there. This year I raised Standard bronze turkeys and they were a no go at 10 lbs. I seem to have the same problem with the larger Muscovys. So I still do some plucking by hand, but it does chickens extremely well.

2 is better than one i think when ot comes to plucking.

They need to bounce off something to get a good plucking in my experience with the yardbird. When i do just one bird it has a tendency to get stuck and i need to constantly watch it. When 2 are in the plucker when one gets stuck the other usually bounces it free. Some of my heritage cornish go 10+ lbs. There's not too much room for the second bird. I have to do one at a time and I'm constantly reaching in to free it.

Back
Top Bottom