Kitty losing losing tufts of head hair near ears

I can't say for sure especially without a picture.

But, do the missing tufts of fur leave behind a circular area? If so, there is a good chance that's what it is.

If so be very sure to use good sanitation - washing hands, etc - as I seem to recall that ringworm can effect people too. I've heard of more than one child being diagnosed with ringworm.

It might be a good idea to consult a vet.

You need to see a vet. Sounds like ringworm. Ringworm is very easy to treat. I got it once when I was a little kid from a kitten. So did my cousin. My mother treated both me and the kitten with some concoction she got from the vet. We both got over it promptly. My aunt went into full panic mode when her little angel got ringworm. Hauled her baby boy to a doctor who knew a gold mine when he saw one. Put the kid on some expensive medications, shaved his head, and I don't know what all. It took weeks before he was cured. The kitten and I were cured in just a few days. My aunt was not pleased when my mother pointed that out.

I agree that a vet is your best option. There are several things the hair loss could be. If it is Ringworm, it is not an easy treatment and can take a long time to go away. Cats tend to get reinfected in their environments. You may have to discard any soft bedding that cannot be washed. Anything that is wood and cannot be easily disinfected can also cause reinfection. A vet will be able to direct you once they make a diagnosis.

Things like mange and ear mites are generally easier to treat.

Last edited:
I agree that a vet is your best option. There are several things the hair loss could be. If it is Ringworm, it is not an easy treatment and can take a long time to go away. Cats tend to get reinfected in their environments. You may have to discard any soft bedding that cannot be washed. Anything that is wood and cannot be easily disinfected can also cause reinfection. A vet will be able to direct you once they make a diagnosis.

Things like mange and ear mites are generally easier to treat.
Ringworm is not an easy treatment? I once found a litter stray of kittens with ringworm and the vet had me bathe them in lime sulfur. The ringworm was gone in a matter of a very few days. I acquired a calf with a very bad case and the vet gave me something, I don't know what, but it was clear, and it worked like a charm. Worked on me too when I got ringworm at a goat show. There had been a dog show held on the grounds shortly before and a lot of the goats and exhibitors showed up with ringworm shortly after. I have used gentian violet, strong iodine, and athlete's foot medicine to treat ringworm and they all worked. I just wish everything was as easy to get rid of as ringworm. There may be some resistant strains out there, but fortunately I have never encountered any. I was once given a puppy with mange and ear mites. Took him to the vet, treated him as instructed, and those cleared up quickly too. It did take a little longer to get rid of the ringworm than it did the mange or ear mites, but even then it was a matter of days, not weeks.

he sleep everywhere, I can't get rid of every thing!
sad.png

Ringworm is not an easy treatment?  I once found a litter stray of kittens with ringworm and the vet had me bathe them in lime sulfur.  The ringworm was gone in a matter of a very few days.  I acquired a calf with a very bad case and the vet gave me something, I don't know what, but it was clear, and it worked like a charm. Worked on me too when I got ringworm at a goat show.  There had been a dog show held on the grounds shortly before and a lot of the goats and exhibitors showed up with ringworm shortly after. I have used gentian violet, strong iodine, and athlete's foot medicine to treat ringworm and they all worked.  I just wish everything was as easy to get rid of as ringworm. There may be some resistant strains out there, but fortunately I have never encountered any. I was once given a puppy with mange and ear mites.  Took him to the vet, treated him as instructed, and those cleared up quickly too. It did take a little longer to get rid of the ringworm than it did the mange or ear mites, but even then it was a matter of days, not weeks.

Ringworm is extremely contagious and pets (and humans) in the same household are exposed to infection or reinfection. Recommended treatment is systemic antifungals and dips every few days until they test negative on two fungal cultures.

The lesions (hair loss and red crusty spots) heal up in a few days. The infection can take weeks to go away. A common misconception by owners is that the infection has cleared when the lesions go away. Then owners will stop medication and the fungus will come back.

Generally, any time you are dealing with a fungus, it will probably be difficult to treat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom