Knit, crochet, or sew?

Pics
I love to create- knitting is the hobby that uses up all of my free time that isn't spent gardening and tending to the animals (and family). I found this group through somebody who loved one of my chicken-themed knitting patterns:
funky_medium.JPG

https://www.etsy.com/listing/616150027/funky-polish-chicken-sock-knitting?ref=shop_home_active_4

I sew some, spin yarn, weave a bit...lots of fiber arts happening around here!

I knit, crochet, and sew too! And I also have a difficult baby/toddler who doesn't let me do anything by myself, so I haven't been able to make anything beyond a dish cloth in a while. I learned to sew as a child (and was the only kid who already knew how in my life skills class in 7th grade). I learned to crochet as a girl scout, and how to knit when I was in college from the girl who would become my best friend. My sister says that my skills would earn my keep after a zombie apocalypse!

I've always wanted to learn how to knit.... I find it to be a beautiful craft.. I have an English Angora rabbit that I could use wool from... but the thought of just using yarn is nice too
Oh, you should learn to spin your angora fiber and then knit something special with it! It's a wonderful feeling to wear your bunny around your neck!

I crochet...well I haven't in a long time, but I have. Ive got 8 skeins of yarn waiting to be turned into comfy wrap things. Super simple even a 5yo could do it. It's just a giant rectangle all done in single crochet...or it might be double, lol, I can't remember. Once you're done you fold the top third down and then basically sew part of that on either side so you create armholes.

I've also made some fingerless Iron Man gloves for a friend. That's about it, lol. But I'd love to get back into it. It's like all those coloring books for adults. The repetitive motions allow me to zone out so it's like meditation.

I'd love to learn to knit, though. I like how much more professional knitting looks than crocheting.

And I agree that creating something feels great! I mostly play around with polymer clay and am currently working on setting up my own etsy shop for it.
You should check out Tunisian crochet- it looks similar to knit, but is done with a hook. It's not quite as stretchy as knit fabric, but you can make beautiful fair isle patterns with the technique. My sister just made me a fair isle Tunisian cardigan; I can't wait for cooler weather so I can wear it! Also, I encourage everybody to try knitting!

There's other stuff you can do (my sister and her husband sit around talking about this a lot). Building shelter and fires, small scale farming, medical, and animal husbandry are all very important for long term survival so people who can do those things are important, too. Maybe more so than fighters/protectors, who are exciting to watch on tv, but what's the point of surviving if you're just gonna starve to death out in the elements.
I truly do these things so that I can pass them on to the next generation. I feel that in our busy/easier to buy it/electronic world that a lot of things are getting lost.

My middle sister and I were just yesterday about stuff like this and about passing knowledge on to younger generations. Our granddad is in his late 70s and he was raised on a farm. In fact his family had a chicken farm and my dad took poultry science in college so he could be able to take it over, but they sold it before he got the chance. My granddad has all this knowledge about farming and whatnot yet he doesn't care to talk about it much or teach us. We are having to learn all this stuff on our own, but me and my sisters would love to be at least partially self-sustained.

I don't have a green thumb but I love animals and am crafty. I really need to look into stuff and see what I could do that could be useful.

Haha! You know, I often wonder about things similar to that. Like let's say an EMP goes off and the entire US is now thrown back to doing everything without electricity. A lot of jobs would be pointless and you would probably have to learn a trade or craft to live.

Or what if time travel were real and something happened to throw you back in time hundreds of years ago. How would you survive? For myself I don't really have much to offer, lol. I know one sewing stitch and I can do single or double crochet but I haven't learned anything else because I haven't needed to for the stuff I've made.

There's other stuff you can do (my sister and her husband sit around talking about this a lot). Building shelter and fires, small scale farming, medical, and animal husbandry are all very important for long term survival so people who can do those things are important, too. Maybe more so than fighters/protectors, who are exciting to watch on tv, but what's the point of surviving if you're just gonna starve to death out in the elements.
I truly do these things so that I can pass them on to the next generation. I feel that in our busy/easier to buy it/electronic world that a lot of things are getting lost.

Back
Top Bottom