Know Any Good Hatcheries For Rare Chickens?

Also I found one called Meyer's Hatchery (Ohio one). Has a lot of what I'm looking for but most are out of stock. Anyone ever used this before?
Meyers is the hatchery we get our chicks from. They are local to me, and I do pick up, so I can't speak on how they ship. However, we have not been disappointed in their chicks. Always healthy and they have always thrived for us--our oldest hen is 8 and the boss of the flock.

I have not had great luck with their hatching eggs, but day old chicks are good.

I'm leaning towards Chickens For Backyards. Have any of you used them? How was their DOA rate, and if they included any extra chicks, were they some of the breeds you selected, were they pullets, straight run, etc.

Also I found one called Meyer's Hatchery (Ohio one). Has a lot of what I'm looking for but most are out of stock. Anyone ever used this before?
Hi I just made an online purchase from Meyer. I have read many positive reviews about them so I decided to give them a try. I just ordered this week so I do not have my chicks yet. I was interested in the Sicilian buttercups. They had plenty available on their site, as well as other unusual breeds! I hope I have good luck with them. Anyone have experience with this chicken breed?

I've had great luck with Meyer's and Cackle, and Sandhill. Sandhill has some breeds no one else has BUT you have to get on a waiting list and wait.
Meyer's I ordered once the leann's 'adopt me' bargain and got several breeds which was neat, but they were 70% cockerels which wasn't a big deal for me but some might not like that.
I've never had a dead shipped chick. Best to keep track of the weather, too cold or hot, and order at least 15-25 IMHO. Even in warmer spring weather too few chicks ordered and they can get chilled.

The rare ones will go quickly. You usually have to order those right after the beginning of th year.
Sometimes they’re just not offering certain breeds that year.

Another option is checking your local Craigslist and Facebook for chicks for sale. About every rare breed from regular rare one's like lavender Orpingtons and black copper marans to the $$ greenfire breeds are available near me by backyard breeder/hatchers at a fraction of the cost in some cases.

Back
Top Bottom