Knowing when to rehome, cull or keep trying?

jrichter67

Chirping
Sep 28, 2020
Western WA
Hello there! New to BYC and this is my first post! I have been cruising around reading a lot of posts and searching forums already and I am sure this has been discussed so if I missed the information I am looking for I do apologize! To give you background, I am a newer adult flock mom, but was raised around chickens my entire childhood.

I have a flock of 13 birds that are 10 months old, six Gold Sex Links, six EE's and one Buff roo. I have had problems with all of my Gold Sex Links since they were 3 months old, they have continually pecked on my EE's. I feel like I have already done a lot to determine the root cause and try to correct the issue with no resolution. We upped their protein, we use Scratch and Peck 18% layer feed instead of 16% now, and added BOSS and Grubblies soldier fly larvae. We enlarged their outdoor run to 30x50, (can't let them free range as we are building our home currently and have too many contractors on the property). They get garden leftovers, have plenty of roosts and playthings in their run, extra food and water stations. We have used BluKote and Rooster Booser Pick no More on any injuries and they just scoff at that and keep on picking. We have tried "chicken jail" for a few weeks at a time, added the rooster (they even peck on him!) and pinless peepers on the offenders. I left the pinless peepers on for more than a month and as soon as I took them off, the behavior started again. I have also tried correcting the offenders by reaching down and giving them a quick hand peck on the back of their neck when I observe the behavior. I have treated for mites recently, however this behavior started months before mites showed up. I am at the point where I just feel like I have exhausted all of my options and that my only choice now is to rehome the God Sex Links or cull them all. They don't pick on each other so if I rehome them as a small intact flock I do think they would be ok with no other flock members. Or I cull them all and stock my freezer... or is there ANYTHING that I missed?

I just feel bad that it's come down to this, I feel like I have failed despite huge efforts. I have educated myself by reading blogs, articles, books, talked with other flock parents and tried so many things and nothing has worked. I did have one person tell me that it's a breed issue with the Gold Sex Links but for the amount of research that I have done to only hear that in one place left me skeptical. Any additional insight is welcome :)

Make some chicken and dumplings and eat it while relaxing watching a new flock thats not acting like that or sell em off. Sounds like with getting a house built last thing you need to dwell on is some crazy acting chickens when you could have better acting ones and one less worry.Gotta draw a line sometimes.

Make some chicken and dumplings and eat it while relaxing watching a new flock thats not acting like that or sell em off. Sounds like with getting a house built last thing you need to dwell on is some crazy acting chickens when you could have better acting ones and one less worry.Gotta draw a line sometimes.
HAHA! Well that response made my day! I love my EE's, they are such sweethearts and I feel SO bad for them. I would like to add more docile breeds this spring but really want to resolve this for the EE's and give them some breathing room before we add new chicks to the homestead.

I'd keep those ee's, the golden comets or isa browns are a dime a dozen at the tractor supply. I like ee's better anyway especially if they have the puffy cheeks.
Totally keeping the EE's! They have the cutest little beards and puffy cheeks! Have reached out to a couple of local breeders for Lavender Orpingtons, Brahma's and Dominiques.

Welcome!
Some birds are just going to be jerks, and here we no longer have any of the production red types because so many were just like yours.
If they all get along, move them on to someone else! Keep your EEs and your rooster if he's nice, and get some chicks this spring, just not more production reds.
Solve for peace in the flock!!! Meanwhile put those pinless peepers back on, so your EEs are happier.
You could have birds who are eating an unbalanced diet, if the main feed is a whole grain type, and the sunflower seeds are high fat, lower protein too. At this point it's unlikely that changing to a 20% protein crumble or pellet will actually reform their behavior though.
There are so many breed choices! If you add your approximate location to your profile, it helps too.
Mary

You've been pretty thorough!

The only thing I don't see: build a second pen, so you have two separate flocks of hens.

If you don't want to do that, I agree that rehoming one breed or culling one breed are the obvious solutions.
Thank you! I think I just really needed to hear that because I felt like I was failing as a chicken owner! Building a second coop and run is an option that certainly has been discussed at great lengths as well and we do have plans for that in late spring, but in the meantime my poor EE's are pretty beat up and I feel like I need to make something happen sooner rather than later. I have read in the forums that you are highly respected so I definitely appreciate your input. Thank you so much!

Welcome!
Some birds are just going to be jerks, and here we no longer have any of the production red types because so many were just like yours.
If they all get along, move them on to someone else! Keep your EEs and your rooster if he's nice, and get some chicks this spring, just not more production reds.
Solve for peace in the flock!!! Meanwhile put those pinless peepers back on, so your EEs are happier.
You could have birds who are eating an unbalanced diet, if the main feed is a whole grain type, and the sunflower seeds are high fat, lower protein too. At this point it's unlikely that changing to a 20% protein crumble or pellet will actually reform their behavior though.
There are so many breed choices! If you add your approximate location to your profile, it helps too.
Mary
Mary thank you so much for the response! Our rooster is wonderful, such a gentleman and a good flock guardian that I definitely want to keep him! I have seriously wondered about their diet, we started them with Scratch and Peck in the beginning and when I switched to a crumble they all revolted so we went back to Scratch and Peck which is more of a whole grain type. The Gold Sex Links are not my foragers either and that's reflected in their yolk colors which are more golden than the deep orange of the EE's.

I think that was the other piece I needed to hear, was that we may not be able to reform the behavior, even with trying all of the things that I tried, that we may not have peace in the flock until they are rehomed.

Thank you for the tip about adding my location, I did that now :)

Back
Top Bottom