Knowing when to rehome, cull or keep trying?

One, they'll look better when the buyer comes for them (even if you sell the sex links, it might help to have the EEs look better).
That is an excellent tip! I hadn't even thought that far yet but appreciate that tip immensely! I also appreciate your comment about not admitting defeat but learning from the experience! That does help me feel better about this situation as I have already tried so much. At least if I encounter the issue again, I will be WELL prepared!

Hi! We’ve had a chicken or two just be mean! Raised with everyone and then just go bully! It’s an awful feeling as an owner. We have rehomed them with a local farm. She has a lot of land and they free range. Maybe there’s someone near by that will take them, especially if they are laying. My hen is doing so well in her new flick of of 100+. It’s just what she needed. Do whatever is best for you! Good luck 🍀😎
I am sure I can find a buyer, I am on several local poultry Facebook groups and there are always people looking and they are excellent producers for sure! Thank you for telling me about your experience, it's appreciated!

Before buying any more birds I would be seriously considering which breeds are a good fit with your established flock. There are breeds I simply won't keep as they are notorious for bullying other breeds & I have a very mixed flock that includes standards & bantams. Bottom line is your birds need to get along together more than they need to be people friendly so if your EEs are quiet docile types look for breeds that have a similar temperament. If they are active foragers look for similar. Consider looks as well. New birds will be more easily accepted if they look something like the birds you already own. I have Wyandotte bantams that run really well with silver Campines. There's not a lot of difference in size & the colouring looks somewhat similar. MY GLW runs with my Vorwerks ~ similar colouring~ but she also has a SLW fizzle sister. I have frizzle bantams. My flock is used to frizzles but temperament wise I have chosen birds that don't have dominance issues & my flock is pretty laid back. It's not fool proof by any means. A bird of any breed may be aggressive but I think it's worth considering.

Before buying any more birds I would be seriously considering which breeds are a good fit with your established flock. There are breeds I simply won't keep as they are notorious for bullying other breeds & I have a very mixed flock that includes standards & bantams. Bottom line is your birds need to get along together more than they need to be people friendly so if your EEs are quiet docile types look for breeds that have a similar temperament. If they are active foragers look for similar. Consider looks as well. New birds will be more easily accepted if they look something like the birds you already own. I have Wyandotte bantams that run really well with silver Campines. There's not a lot of difference in size & the colouring looks somewhat similar. MY GLW runs with my Vorwerks ~ similar colouring~ but she also has a SLW fizzle sister. I have frizzle bantams. My flock is used to frizzles but temperament wise I have chosen birds that don't have dominance issues & my flock is pretty laid back. It's not fool proof by any means. A bird of any breed may be aggressive but I think it's worth considering.
Thank you for the information! Chickens were not a plan for 2020, and then the pandemic hit and we decided to take the plunge early. I had done a lot of breed research and the sex links were NOT on my list, unfortunately they were pretty much all I could get at the time. I now know that I have A LOT of other options available to me and I do have some Brahmas, Dominiques and Olive Eggers that I am picking up soon. Really hoping that all of my research pays off and that I end up with a laid back flock :)

Did you end up selling your bully girls? I had two black sex links that bullied every other chicken in my flock, killing a light brahma. Vent pecked her to death. Like you, I tried everything to correct the behavior. Even when they were free ranging, they would follow the other girls around, pecking at them. I put pine tar on the girls that were pecked, it's supposed to stop anyone from pecking them, it's very sticky and they don't like to peck it. I finally culled the bullies, broomstick method. Now my flock is little but peaceful.

Did you end up selling your bully girls? I had two black sex links that bullied every other chicken in my flock, killing a light brahma. Vent pecked her to death. Like you, I tried everything to correct the behavior. Even when they were free ranging, they would follow the other girls around, pecking at them. I put pine tar on the girls that were pecked, it's supposed to stop anyone from pecking them, it's very sticky and they don't like to peck it. I finally culled the bullies, broomstick method. Now my flock is little but peaceful.
I now have 5 hens instead of 7--two of my 2-yr olds attacked a point of lay pullet and pinned her and tried to peck her to death (in intervened a few times while setting up the hospital crate). Sometimes you have to cull for peace in the flock.

I am so sorry to hear about your bully girls! I am glad you have it resolved. I didn't end up with loss of life, but definitely things were NOT peaceful lol! I ended up selling 5 of them plus an agresssive EE and things are so calm and peaceful right now in the flock. I wish I would have done it sooner. The remaining girls are loving their life right now and I am enjoying being a chicken momma again!

@jrichter67

Thank you for starting this topic. I'm really glad you were able to resolve your issue and now enjoy a peaceful flock.

My issues are my two ISA Browns. They are full of personality and sweet as can be with us humans. But any chicken below them is not quite so lucky. I had considered culling the more aggressive one last time we hatched and had to cull the unwanted roosters. But I just couldn't really justify it. I hate to see them run off the lower ones and I hate to see them peck them on the roosts at night but is it just my issue? They've never started a fight, they've never pulled feathers or drawn blood, they just do not like to share. They leave any higher ranking hen alone and enforce their standing right in the middle. None of my other hens bully though, neither high nor low ranking, only the ISA Browns. But is watching this my issue?

One year later and I've decided I LOVE to have my broodies hatch eggs🥰🥰 It brings me such joy to watch them. Our BO is currently 1 week into raising her chicks (second brood now) and our Australorp is setting on some fertile eggs now. I am ok with culling unwanted roosters and there are plenty of homes for the pullets we cannot keep so I feel fairly responsible about this new adventure. But I'd love to keep some of the more rare pullets we hatch and that is not possible with the limit we have set for our own flock. Rehoming or culling the ISA Browns would give me that option though. Am I merely being selfish since we have not really had any serious issues with them? I just don't enjoy watching them mingle with the flock and run off the younger/smaller ones. My flock has been very enjoyable pastime and great distraction for me since losing my dad and dealing with some depression and anxiety since. It also gets me outside and enjoying the sun and fresh air. I just ALL love my girls so much!!

My questions are:

If I re-home them together, am I still dooming them to being bullied and miserable in a new flock? And yes, this is the reason I have not done this yet. I know it would be easy to find them a home. But the thought really does scare me and causes me anxiety. I do care for them greatly.

Do we cull them with the next batch of roosters? I hate that thought because they are healthy and great daily layers, even through the winter, and that is what spared them the last cull.

Or do I need to stop being selfish and understand this is just flock behavior and get over it?

Please help! Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thank you!

I think that rehoming them together makes a lot of sense, because they are disruptive in your flock. Send them off with full disclosure, and let them try to work their way up the social order at their new home!
We don't have production reds of any sort in our flock, after having pecking issues with most of them. Peace is a good thing!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom