Korfus, new chick!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozark hen, Jul 20, 2008.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    OMG, it is day 23 and yesterday I threw away an egg that turned out to have a blue orp chick in it [​IMG] although dead. I couldn't figure out why it had completely developed and then died in the shell but decided to wait until day 24 to be absolutely sure of a no-hatch! Low and behold I heard chirping and about knocked my dh over trying to get to the incubator!! [​IMG] Here is the first one..maybe the only one and I pray it makes it so I will at least have two blue orps. I have one pullet who is about three-four weeks old, not by my calendar to double check. This one looks like it will be very light but won't know for sure until dries. I just pray it makes it. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    not very clear right now.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Congrats!!! I'm so glad that you waited before throwing anymore eggs out. [​IMG]

3. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    way to go!!!!!!!

4. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! [​IMG]

5. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    thank you all! This chick was born with some greenish/dark ...hmmm looks like a bowel movement? stringing out from behind it. Is this normal or is it because the chick was born so late?

6. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Congrats!!! I can't wait to see more pictures!!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Congrats, Carrie-looks like it could be a splash. The greenish is just what you think, probably.

8. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Congrats!

I agree with Cyn, it looks like a splash.

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    It's adorable! Congrats! I hope it makes it [​IMG]

The green stuff is most likely a poo. I've had chicks hatch with that before. I figure human fetuses poo when distressed... do you think it's the same with chickens? [​IMG]

10. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Thanks everyone...I can't tell you how excited I am over this chick! Yes, Cyn, I think it is a splash, too but I was waiting to get verification from the more experienced [​IMG]
    It seems to be rather healthy and responds to my voice so I am praying there will be at least one more, hopefully three.... [​IMG] by tomorrow. If not then I hope this is a cockeral since I have the blue orp pullet. I will be guarding these two with my life so they make it through this winter and all. It is so wonderful. And now Miss P may have developed a new color? How exciting is all this? Got to love these orps!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by